IGNORED

Inadequate inspection

SteveJ

Well, I talked to the guy who is changing out the u-joints for me. I was thinking about doing it myself, but I didn't feel like torquing on bolts with the car on jackstands. (A scissor lift is in my future, I hope.) I guess I should have at least taken time to inspect the driveshaft. He found two bolts missing and another was finger tight. VERY bad on me. I should have taken a closer look at all of the undercarriage when I bought the car.

Anyway, I am still going to try to use this as a reason to push the scissor lift past most of the furniture my wife wants. After all, it's all about safety, isn't it? ;)

If you have the room look at a good 4 post lift, they are safer to use. Be aware of the cheap ones their are some flimsy 4 post ones out their. If you want one that takes less room look for a Denver lift, they have never had one fail in their history, but they haven't been made in 20 years.

Thanks for the advice. I measured my garage. It's right at 108 floor to ceiling, and I'm not sure if the pad is thick enough for the bolts to hold the lift securely. This is the scissor lift I'm contemplating. It would be great for most of the work I do on my cars, too.

Does anybody have any words of warning/wisdom concerning scissor lifts?

Look at the backyard buddy their lifts are some of the better ones out. I hadn't been to their site in a long time they have a new product the Easy Access that I called them this morning. They didn't have much info on line so they are sending me some, Ill post if your interested when I get it.

http://www.backyard-buddy.com/

Look at the backyard buddy their lifts are some of the better ones out. I hadn't been to their site in a long time they have a new product the Easy Access that I called them this morning. They didn't have much info on line so they are sending me some, Ill post if your interested when I get it.

http://www.backyard-buddy.com/

Thanks. I looked at the Easy Access. It still looks a lot lower than what I want. The scissor lift (under Mid Rise Lifts at Greg Smith Equipment) goes up to 41 inches. That gives me plenty of clearance with my Zs, and I'm thinking it will work nicely with my Mazdas, too.

Also, Greg Smith Equipment has a location in Atlanta, so I can see their products. They definitely aren't knock-offs, either.

Edited by SteveJ
Forgot to put in the last paragraph.

Had the engine rebuilt with New round tops in 1980. Dealership put 96 miles on it for testing. Brought it home for paint but it sat for 27 years. Carbs needed going through before 2007 startup. All 8 nuts holding the carbs on were taken off by hand. :stupid:

I so much want a lift but only have a sub 8' ceiling. I'll figure out a different way to get it off the ground further, like Dave. :D

Bonzi Lon