IGNORED

engine start

Tophu530

I have a 240z and I recently put an l28 in and replaced the fuel injection for carbs. I have everything hooked up, and I got a new fuel filter and I got a new mechanical fuel pump, but when i start the car I am not able to start it. When I spray gas into the carbs and suck up some fuel through the fuel line I am able to start it for like 3 seconds but I am not seeing any gas come up through the fuel filter. What should I do at this point? Could there be a problem with something in the engine that is preventing the pump to work? does the l24 have something that an l28 doesn't have that allows it to use the mechanical pump instead of an electrical? Any help would be much appreciated.

Disconnect the fuel pump output and run a hose from it into a coffee can. Turn the engine a couple of times to see if the fuel is coming from the pump. If not then you might have an obstruction in the fuel line and need to blow it out.

I haven't taken the line loose from the fuel pump to the carbs, but I assume there is no fuel flow because the fuel filter is clear an I would be able to see it going through there if there was any fuel flow. When I sucked fuel up orally I saw going through the filter but nothing when cranking it.

There are 2 things involved in starting a car, fuel/air and appropriately timed spark. You have half of that equation, since it starts with a gas splash.

You need to eliminate the fuel issue by verifying you have fuel delivery to the carbs. If you do then you may have a significant vacuum leak that's preventing normal start/run.

Yeah I got the thing started finally. turns out the l28 didn't have this oval shaped thing on the inside of the valve cover to pump the mechanical pump. I took it off from the old l24 that was all seized up and put it on the l28 so the fuel pump actually started to pump. The car is out of tune and sounds like and old WWI airplane engine but the thing runs pretty smoothly.