IGNORED

240z motor swap...breaks?

rjk629

ok so i have a 72 240z that i just swapped a rebuilt l26 into with 1971 round top su's the car is running awesome but something sorta weird is going on. the tube that comes out of the crank case to the pcv valve isn't exactly the same as on the l24 and their is a rubber line that went to it on the l24 that that is about the size as a vac advance hose that no longer has a place to hook up. it comes from the drivers side fender well. there is one hose coming in from the back of the car to a splitter and two coming out. the bottom one was never hooked up but the top one went to that crank case tube. now that this is not hooked up my breaks seem bad almost like the break boost is not hooked up. is this related?

thanks in advance for any input

rjk, w/o pics your description of the various lines/hoses is confusing. Not ever having a 240Z, I would be less helpful in any case. I can only suspect that lines coming from the back of your car are from the evaporator tank and a fuel return line to the gas tank. I am not sure if the 72 240Z has an charcoal canister mounted on the passenger side inner fender as the 73 and 74 260Z had.

BUT, I can tell you that you need to plug up any vacuum line FROM your engine at this point(diagnosing) so that the vacuum available to your booster is not compromised. A wood golf tee works great!

I have run w/o a PVC valve for many years after I did a triple Weber conversion. I "temporarily" swung the large PVC hose to "dump" out on the crossmember(no rust there!) The only vacuum hose hook ups that I installed on the Weber intake manifold are for the distributor and the brake booster.

Edited by oldhemi

That's a fuel tank vent line coming from the rear, The vaccum line going to the brass? block allows the tanks vent line to feed back into the intake for an emissions to deal.

Leave the rear vent line attached to the block, block off (gold tee?) the crank case line.

Also check the Vaccum line to the booster for leaks, etc.

Dave

thanks for the responses guys. it is deffinatly not the return line for the tank that is on the passenger side. a gas tank vent sounds accurate. i don't know but it does seem to not be the reason for my weird breaks. i replaced the calipers and pads about six moths ago but then didnlt drive the car for about six months. when i would push it it seemed they were dragging. so maybee i just need to free them up a bit. this is my first posting and has been a wonderful welcoming to classic z car. thanks again

ryan

thanks for the responses guys. it is deffinatly not the return line for the tank that is on the passenger side. a gas tank vent sounds accurate. i don't know but it does seem to not be the reason for my weird breaks. i replaced the calipers and pads about six moths ago but then didnlt drive the car for about six months. when i would push it it seemed they were dragging. so maybee i just need to free them up a bit. this is my first posting and has been a wonderful welcoming to classic z car. thanks again

ryan

the line coming form the rear of the car on the driver's side is the fresh air return to the gas tank. One of the lines from the diverter is supposed to connect to a small port on the back side of your air cleaner. the other was supposed to go to the crank case breather. The idea from Nissan is when expansion occurs in the gas tank and because the system is supposed to be closed . The fumes were to be burned by the engine. The one going to the air cleaner is for fresh air to the tank. That fitting mounted on the inner fender is a diverter. and has a one way valve inside that will open under pressure from the gas tank and dispose of the fumes. Hope this helps you to understand what is what. I removed all the evaporation tank and some of the vent lines in the back of the Z and vented the tank to the fill vent. Kept the little air supply line. I did this years ago and the info should be in the archives.

All the best , and welcome to the Web Site, Gary:beer: Also , nun of these lines will effect the brakes in any way.

Edited by beandip
additional info.

thank you beandip. that is exactly what i wanted to know. i figured out the breaks but still wasn't sure about the lines. so if i have no port on my crank case vent is it fine to let it hang there or can the fumes cause problems? thanks

ryan