IGNORED

pics of primer grey 240's?

dero

Here is a link to my photos http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1469&cat=500&thumb=1

I did this before I found my body man. It was alot of work and now has been striped and re done by the real painter.

I did this because i didnt want bare metal in the open air.

I have mixed feelings on saying go for it. Doing it makes it look ok at best and will make twice the work for anyone who will be painting it later.

P.S the picks of the car start on page 2 I think. :stupid:

twice baked potatos?

twice painted hot rods?

I've talked to guys that own old school street rods, '49 mercury's and such, that use a black primer and high polished chrome paint scheme and most have said that they paint the car in black or dark blue first and then paint it in primer. Weird yes, but they say it stops the rust factor.

nate

Oh, yes primer is no rust proofer. But I did mine just so bare metal wouldnt be in the open air while sitting in the shop. Thats also why I said primer will make twice the work for who ever will paint it in color. See I have never found a paint guy dumb enough to paint over primer that has seen the street. So now you have one paint job that needs to come off before you can start on the prep work of whats under the primer. Just somthing to think of before you prime your car. If you dont have the extra money for the paint job? Will you have the extra later for the charge of stripping off the primer? Remember $30.00 of primer can cost you over $100.00 later.

Gray Primer with a Clear Coat? Sorry, in my opinion that would be a waste of money.

Why not get shiny grey? That's what you'll end up with. If it's the matte finish of the primer you like, the clearcoat will make it shiny. If you try to get "flat" clearcoat, then you'll be paying more money for something that the paint guys will be laughing about for weeks to come.

Again if it's the matte finish you like, paint the car with primer, top coat it with a grey paint to seal the primer then top coat it with another coat of primer. You'll have the matte finish, metal protection in the paint, and proper adhesion from the original primer coat.

As far as paint guys not wanting to paint on primer that's been exposed to the elements, I can vouch for that. There's hundreds of different contaminants out there that will literally screw up ANY kind of paint you put on top of it. Tree sap, bird poop, bug guts, cat foot prints, gasoline, tar, road grime, oil etc. I could go on and on and not even scratch the surface of the list.

If however, you are talking a paint base below the primer, then the guy will just wet sand down to the paint and then either use sealer or primer sealer to build the base up. He'll still have to work the car down to this base, but at least you'll have protected the metal in the meantime.

2¢

Dero:

I agree with you, that dark grey primer does look good on it.

Not that I care for primer paint jobs, but on your car it does give it a nice no nonsense look to it.

Again, when you read the above posts, remember that the main piece of advice is to make sure there is something below the primer to seal the metal.

Enrique