IGNORED

72 240z turn signal stoped workining

NismoZ

Ok i have a little issue and wanted need some help... Im not really familiar with the wiring in the z yet so hopefully somebody can suggest a cure... about a week ago i noticed my in dash left turn signal (the green arrow) stopped flashing but i could still hear the clicking... so i went to look at the rear left tail to see if the turn signal was working and it was... so i proceeded to the front left and nothing the only time the front left light works is when the running lights are on... Before the in dash signal stoped working the outside left turn signal actually worked...

SO with all that said is this problem related to a in dash light bulb? or is it something more serious?

Thanks

The front turn signals and dash signal lights are connected together, where as the rear turn signals are also brake lights. If they weren't seperated like they are, the dash lights would come on every time you hit the brakes.

Now on to the problem.... You've made so many left turns that you've bent the front left tab inside the switch. If you'd like to take it apart and fix it, use the diagram below to help guide you as to which one is bent. Give it a slight downward bend towards the contact. NOT TOO FAR or the turn signal will stay on all the time. While it's apart, use a very small dab of di-electric grease on the ball bearing's slide area, after you clean the old crap off.

Then use some more dielectric grease to hold the ball bearing to the spring while you re-assemble the switch.

ONLY bend the small outer tabs out a little to dissasemble the switch, so they don't break off.

Dave

post-4921-14150809506555_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found out what the problem was... It is the little plastic slider that attaches to the turn signal Lever or arm. When i tried to engage the left it had so much play in it that it would not fully complete the transition on the main switch. The switch looked to be in pretty good condition.

So I did a temporary fix by applying a small o ring in the plastic slider Located between the arm and switch where the switch nipple goes and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Is there a way to take of the turn signal arm? The paint on mine is coming off and is all rusty and needs a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint.

There are 2 styles of hold pins, that hold the arm to the slide bracket. One is a split pin, that can be pounded out and replaced when done painting. The other is a Pinched end pin, That needs to be squeezed round. I use a pair on Needlenose and put the pin all the way to the neck and slowly squeeze it till it's round enough to be pounded out. Then when your ready to reassemble, pound it back in and use a punch to flatten it again.

Dave

There are 2 styles of hold pins, that hold the arm to the slide bracket. One is a split pin, that can be pounded out and replaced when done painting. The other is a Pinched end pin, That needs to be squeezed round. I use a pair on Needlenose and put the pin all the way to the neck and slowly squeeze it till it's round enough to be pounded out. Then when your ready to reassemble, pound it back in and use a punch to flatten it again.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave,

I noticed the pin has a flat end on it, is this the pinch type? Also when i get the pin out does the arm pull right out or is there any other things i need to look for?

Just unflatten it and remove the pin, then the handle comes right out. When you pull it out, there will be a brass looking, spring loaded bullet. Remove the spring and bullet before painting, then regrease with some sil-glide (silicone grease) and grease the tip as well, after painting.

I use good old fashioned rubbing alcohol to clean the rubber handle. Stick a larger (#2) phillips screwdriver in the end and rub or twist it in an alcohol moistened rag. Then buff it out on a dry towel.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, my turn signals are very, very slowww to flash. Do I need a new flasher and if so where on the planet do I find one? Also, everthing wroks except the left greeen arrow on the dash when hazzards are engaged. It works fine for the left turn signal. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jack

Dave, my turn signals are very, very slowww to flash. Do I need a new flasher and if so where on the planet do I find one? Also, everthing wroks except the left greeen arrow on the dash when hazzards are engaged. It works fine for the left turn signal. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jack

You can buy new flashers at any Auto store, you'll notice there a lot smaller than the stock Datsun ones. You'll need two, if you want to replace both. Dave will probably suggest going with an electric flasher as apposed to a thermal one because they draw less amperage.

Am I that transparent? Yup, I am.

Swap your original thermal unit for an Electronic flasher. They work on a circuit rather than resistance. You'll have a more consistant flash and less amperage thru your preflasher system.

Your dash flasher (green light on the tach) is directly wired in with the front flashers.

I would also check the front left turn signal when the hazards are on. If the dash light is not flashing, the front of the same side is also likely not flashing.

Unless your hazard switch is bad but I don't see how that could work that way.

BTW, The Electronic flashers are between $10 and $17

Dave

I understand that the electric ones draw less than the thermal ones. Being the cheapass I am, I elected to spend the $2.00 instead of $12.00.

Incidentally, you can probably remove the old one from the housing and place the housing over the new flasher. It looks original (not my main motivation) and allows you to mount it to the car the way the original one was mounted.

• 1 month later...

I just put in a two-spade electronic flasher and my flashers still dont flash. The hazards worked and still work (all four), but the car came with no T/S flasher unit in it so I picked one up, stuck it in, and no dice!

Do I need a three-spade electronic flasher? or should I hunt down some other issue? There are only two wires under the dash, green and white female spades. Also two bullet connectors that I think were for the key buzzer.

Edited by cygnusx1