IGNORED

280Z door won't close when cold.

dmcc280Z

I have a '77 280Z S30 never wrecked, but the doors won't close in cold weather without slamming them 3-4 times. They bounce back and the lock mechanism does not catch. In weather over 60 degrees this is never a problem. I have cleaned and lubed both door locks. The locks work without a problem when "tripped" with a screwdriver shaft with the door open when I test them. Is it a problem with the door rubber or the bumper blocks at the bottom of the door opening to the body. I am confused. Any thoughts?

Dave

I had the same problem with my '75 many, many years ago. As I recall, the catch that pivots around the post in the door (???? -- memory rather sketchy, and my car is at another house right now) is covered in a rubber sleeve. Anyway, it was a small rubber part that had rotted and fallen off that kept the latch part from turning far enough to catch completely. Carefully compare your left and right door latches to see if the problem latch is "all there." As I recall, I bought a new door latch. However, they were much more plentiful back then (early 1990's).

The door striker was my first thought, but it is intact. My second inspection revealed that the lock was not lubricated with thin enough oil. By using Marvel Mystery Oil the latch went right back to work! Need to oil them every Winter and remove all doubts.

Dave