IGNORED

Vented front discs / rear drum bias

ivygreen65

I've inherited a '74 260 and am in the process of getting it back on the road after about a 10 year hiatus. It won't be a track car, just one that will see some spirited street driving. I want vented rotors on the front, but I don't see a reason to put discs on the back. I vintage race a '65 Mustang and have to run a disc/drum combination, so I know that drum rears can provide all the braking that I'll need.

If I upgrade to Toyota 4 pots in the front with vented rotors, will I need to fit the car with an adjustable brake bias or will the stock valve be sufficient? I'm planning on putting a 280zx master cylinder on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've inherited a '74 260 and am in the process of getting it back on the road after about a 10 year hiatus. It won't be a track car, just one that will see some spirited street driving. I want vented rotors on the front, but I don't see a reason to put discs on the back. I vintage race a '65 Mustang and have to run a disc/drum combination, so I know that drum rears can provide all the braking that I'll need.

If I upgrade to Toyota 4 pots in the front with vented rotors, will I need to fit the car with an adjustable brake bias or will the stock valve be sufficient? I'm planning on putting a 280zx master cylinder on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I run that setup on my '71 and it sees a lot of track days. Even with the stock master cylinder I have not needed to change the bias. You will need it even less on the street.

Marty

• 2 months later...

That will probably be my next upgrade to the 1985 calipers. I have already added new wheel bearings and new disks. Not really sure the slots or cross drilling does anything except remove material and make it worse of a heat sink. If you get pads that do not off gas much and are low dust, you are just fine using solid disks.

I haven't used the Toy calipers with drum rear, but I did run it with early 280ZX rear disc and my problem was not enough rear braking. That is the safer way to have it set up, but you lose some ultimate braking potential. Eventually I went back to stock front calipers so that I could get the bias dialed in right.