IGNORED

280ZX Suspension conversions?

I'm converting a 280ZX to a convertible with a new LS1 engine. With to much work already done, I'm now disappionted with choices I'm finding for the suspension and brake upgrades. I also don't like the angled trailing arm rear suspension.

Has anyone ever converted to the Z rear suspension to a ZX or any other good ideas?

front.jpg

frontr.jpg

left.jpg

You can change anything underneath-ArizonaZcar used to sell a tube frame for the S30, such that you could replace either or both ends to put in what ever you wanted. Cutting and grafting is serious work, but it will let you put virtually any thing you want in the car...

Will

Thanks Will, unfortunately, ArizonaZcar has told me it's going to be complicated to impossible because strut tower width changes. I'm still going to try. Also looking at cutting and realigning the pivot points square with the car.

Other than my misguided choice of the ZX for suspension, how ya like the car?

• 1 year later...

Car looks great so far :) There is nothing terribly wrong with semi trailing arm suspension, BMW used it well and I think they used it on a late model too. But for racing they changed the angles the arms operate at to reduce camber change, Frank over at HybridZ details those changes in a great post. Look also at using a Z31 rear end.

Isn't Z31 also trailing arm? I thought someone had done a switch in a ZX to S14 suspension. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it is a 5 link. Depending on how much you want to cut into it, you could do just about anything, SLA, strut, live axle, 5 link, etc.

"Any suspension- no matter how poorly designed- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -Colin Chapman

As Jon said, there is a choice as to what other non semi trailing arm subframe mounted suspension may be fitted, all will involve structural work though eg Nissan Z32, S14. I believe that the STA Z31 suspension was an improvement on what you have, some have five stud hubs too. It should be easier too fit than others. All depends on how much work you can do, nothing is a straight bolt in.