IGNORED

Need help with 260z distrubtor

rskdsk

I have a single pickup on my 260z (It's electronic, and I assume yours is also). I can tell you that in my 30+ years of ownership, the gap has never been checked or adjusted. Well, I take that back... I was taking it to the dealer until about 1985, so I should modify my statement to in the last 24 years.

Assuming there is an adjustment, I'm surprised my Z still runs. I'll look forward to learning how to do this!

Here is an illustration and specs for a manual trans. I imagine the dual coil pickups for the automatics would be adjusted the same way. There are no contact wear points, so unless the screws have come loose it is no wonder your Z is still running without a check or adjustment.

Edited by geezer

Is the 260 unique? Is it the same on the 280?

The reason I ask is there are so many people that come through this site saying their z won't run.

I have never heard someone suggest that they check these items, yet, your documentation says straight-up that it can cause a no run situation.

Learn something new every day.

Those pages come from the IGNITION SYSTEMS - 260-Z DIAGNOSTIC PROCECEDURES 1974. A Technical Engineering Department publication by Nissan Motor Corporation in U.S.A. It is 260Z specific. If anyone wants a copy of the manual, PM me with an email address and I'll get it to you. It's 16 pages.

Since this car is a late 260Z auto with the duel magnetic pick-up ... I would imagine that this applys to some early 280z as well. My car is completely stock, so this is the original setup ... probably not the original pick-ups. But the factory manual suggest that the gap be review at every tune up. I am planning on timing my car this weekend, and I want to make sure that everything is right for an accurate timing. I would imagine that if this gap is off it could effect the timing.

BTW does anyone have a really good "how to" on timing a 260z ... incuding the advance and retard adjustments.

BTW does anyone have a really good "how to" on timing a 260z ... incuding the advance and retard adjustments.

These scans are from another Nissan USA publication - ENGINE ANALYSIS Performance & Emissions 1970-1980. It is a very informative manual (about 200 pages). I have extra original hard copies of this manual, I could possibly be persuaded to part with or could put them in the classifieds I guess.

For those who have requested a scanned copy of the 260Z Diagnostics manual, I'll try to get that together as soon as possible.

Edited by geezer
added title for future searches

My issue is that I can not get the pick-up point and the reluctor point to align by simply turning over the engine ... so how do you get these to align so that you can check the gap.

Also I have the Nissan service manual ... does not tell how to get them aligned to check the gap.

My issue is that I can not get the pick-up point and the reluctor point to align by simply turning over the engine ... so how do you get these to align so that you can check the gap.

Also I have the Nissan service manual ... does not tell how to get them aligned to check the gap.

Ah I see what you are hung up on now. The easy way is to remove the distributor from the engine. Make careful note of the distributor & rotor position first and reinstall correctly.

Edited by geezer

If his distributor is like mine, it will only go back on one way, it's not possible to put it on backwards. But just to be safe, I crank the engine so the rotor is pointing forward before removal (just habit). Rskdsk, if you've never done it before, removing the distributor is really really easy. I replace the gasket each time, but others can tell you if that's necessary. The gasket is only 69 cents from nissanparts.cc so I ordered a load of em once while buying some other stuff.

Sounds like that might ne the way to do this ... I'll give it a shot l8tr today. I'll get some white out and mark everything ... once I have done this I should be set to do the timing. I have already adjusted the valves. Once the timing is done ... redo the carbs and I should be set!

Any instruction on how to set the timing ... I mean I know where the notch is on the pully, I have the light, I know where the toothy marker is ... I know to use the #1 spark wire ... but I am a little fuzzy on the advance and retard setting adjustments.