IGNORED

Any guesses on what this problem is?

rskdsk

The car is a 1974 260z, the problem is that when I turn the key to start the car I hear "click" ... I do this 4 or 5 more times and eventually the starter enguages and it start. The battery is new and if I put power directly to the starter wire, it turn over without any problems.

It could be several things.

First check to assure you have a good/new Ballast Resistor (should measure 1.6ohms) and the connections are clean and in good shape.

Second - I had problems similar but only on HOT days, around 85degrees when the car would sit. It would start cold fine, but not when hot or warmed up.

==> Since ignition switches, if original are 30+ years old and all the amperage passes through the switch to trigger the selonoid/starter, the contact gets worn over time. Thus not all the amperage gets to the solenoid/starter to crank it.

.... to fix this I bought for around $25 with shipping a starter relay kit on ebay that is simple to add near the starter. This assures 100% of the amperage get's directly to the starter/solenoid - problem resolved. Here is a link to my thread ...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34668&highlight=Ignition+Relay

Good luck.. hope this helps....

Edited by moritz55

The temperature does not seem to effect it much. Right now I have a button in my car next to the ignition. I turn the ignition on, and push the button to start the car. All the button does is right straight power to the starter ... but it starts everytime. However, I would like to fix the real issue.

Hmm .. Sounds like then you've got a worn ignition switch. Your button does exactly what the relay kit does however the relay kit allows you to use your ignition switch as normal. Also I assumed you checked your ground and hot wire connections already.. if not double check and clean them.

Hope this helps.....

Edited by moritz55

Bypass the starter interlock circuit,locate the relay on the firewall with a 2 wire connector and a 3 wire connector. Jumper yellow wire on 2 wire plug to black with yellow tracer on 3 wire plug, this will power your starter solenoid from the ignition switch.