IGNORED

240-280z S12 Front brake upgrade using AM vented rotor made for stock calipers?

JohnB

Can you use an aftermarket rotor such as the vented, slotted and cross drilled rotors of r1 concepts that are made for the stock 240-280z calipers with the S12, S12W or later 86-88 S12+8 Toyota calipers without using the rotor spacer? I am trying to save the $100-150 cost of the spacer.

Thanks,

John

:stupid: The S12 calibers would work. But you will need the spacer and 300ZX rotors to make the other calibers work. The rotors for the S12 system will have to be the single plate type like the Z's current brakes if you are planning on using the S12 calibers. The calibers are not wide enough to work with vented rotors. The S12W, S-13W and S12+8 (S-12+8 has two different models, one like the S-12 and one like the S-12W) are wide enough to be used with vented rotors. Check with the HybridZ site for more info on the subject. But you will need to measure for the hat size to make it a custom fitting for the Z. It is cheaper to use the spacer and 300ZX rotors. Most of this kit is a straight bolt in replacement for the stock system. You may want to find someone with the vented setup and take some measurements and then look into how much the cost will be for the rotors. The rotor hat size and rotor size is the limiting factor with the calibers you are planning on using. To keep the calibers in that bolt in mode, you have to place the rotors into the proper alignment with the calibers. If you want to make your own mounting plate, you then can go with a larger rotor and different hat size. Good Luck with the choice you make, Rich.ROFL

• 1 month later...

Per spacers... Just for info on this set up. I have this set up on my 280z and like it. Wide calipers, 300zx vented rotors and spacers. However, take note with the spacers. I purchased the big brake kit and installed it. I had a problem with the new supplied rotors being warped and slightly hitting the calipers. After taking them apart a few times, I found that the spacer was not relieved enough to slip over the small radius on rotor mounting surface of the hub. There is a small radius the spacer was hanging up on and not sitting down flat (.020" gap). I took a dremel tool and ground a small bit around the inside edge on one side and it all goes together true now. If you have any questions, please let me know as it frusturated the hell out of me.