IGNORED

rb conversion in 76' 240k

SHM17Y

• 3 months later...

i sorted my tail shaft probs today, im using a 1 piece D21 pathfinder 4x4 tail shaft, yoke fits the 25 box and is the perfect length to the diff ;)

Is the tail shaft / diff flange the same size / bolt pattern ?

Hey guys. It has been ages since I've been here as other aspects of life have taken priority for a while. Anyhow, I thought I might chime in here as I completed this swap a few years ago with my last 240K. Here is what I did.

The motor mounts are actually RB30 mounts shortened about 1". I then used generic Volvo 740 offseting mount insulators. There are also some for a mid '80's Supra that are basically the same. The best way to judge how much to cut the mounts is to set the motor/tranny into the car with wood blocks. The RB26 actually sits at a slight angular incline in the R32. The tranny will be just barely below the floor pan, about .5 inch if memory serves. Then, the lower timing cover is the best point for leveling the engine. The top of the lower timing cover is supposed to be level, actually plumb would be the proper term. Then I bolted the insulators in place and simply measured the distance from the top of the insulators to the mounting holes on the block for the motor mounts. I just cut the bottom off and welded on new plates.

The driveshaft I used was actually the factory one modified with a yolk from a Z32 300zx. This kept the carrier bearing as well.

I also used the factory RB26 harness and computer. I made a wiring diagram and it's actually pretty easy to wire up. I recently moved, but I will dig through the boxes to find my notes if you guys would like.

Anyhow, it turned out pretty well for the most part. Kent even drove it when he was over here and I'm sure he could give his impressions. I never got the opportunity to refine it though. But the next owner managed to as some of you may have seen from pictures of it at the last Japanese Classic Car Show we had out here. As far as I know, it is still the only completed RB swapped GC110 in the U.S.

Brian

• 2 years later...