IGNORED

Datsun makes it on Cash Cab

=Enigma=

I was passively listening to Cash Cab tonight while browsing CZCC and the term "Z car" in one of the questions caught my attention. I promptly blipped the DVR in reverse and listened to the full question. Here it is for the rest of you. Seems a silly question from our perspective, but not common knowledge for many. I believe the contestants got it right.

"Despite the popularity of its Z car, what automobile company was phased out by Nissan in 1983?"

And the final answer is?

Seems a silly question from our perspective, but not common knowledge for many. I believe the contestants got it right.

"Despite the popularity of its Z car, what automobile company was phased out by Nissan in 1983?"

Did they actually call Datsun an "automobile company"? Bad question phrasing if they did.

The 'Datsun' emblem on the Zs did not signify a company any more.

That just goes to show that Nissan was ultimately successful with their name change campaign back in the 80s.

I agree. Good point.

This may be related...My guru mechanic friend from waaay back who taught me a great deal about cars & car repair said that he always thought Datsun was chosen as a name because it sounded British (which makes sense if you think about it in context since at the time the Roadster and susbsequently the Z were introduced, the Brits held a good deal of market share in America for personal sports cars sales--having held the mantle more or less since they came out with the XK120). We all know of course how badly they underestimated their Japanese competitors and lost that domination for good. But anyway: "Datsun" = British, hmmmm. at first glance, maybe. But we know the truth.

• 2 months later...

There was another question on the NYC cash cab show, on their discussion forum, about the Z, car; "Which was the first Z car?" But the answer given on the show was 280, which is obviously incorrect.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

Because it's just geberal knowedge questions, they were probably looking for the answer of 240Z. S30 covers the entire run of first-eneration Z model cars up to the 280Z.

I think the show's editors would probably remove anything that wouldn't belong, like a guest complaining.

Edited by TomoHawk