IGNORED

Speedo cable leak

cdietz1

Hey guys I need some info on a '72 240Z-4spd. Where the speedo cable threads onto the trans is leaking. Dealers in my area don't have any info on a car that old. Checked MSA & Black Dragon but couldn't find anything. Any info or ideas would be appeciated.

There are 2 seals for your speedo cog sleeve. Outer one, you can get at any at auto store. Inner one is still available from Nissan. MSA has both of them at very cheap price. These 2 should take care of the problems.

Please see the pictures here.........

Esprist

post-16910-14150808217354_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

OK, still having a hard time beleiving this one. My speedo cable is leaking at the speedo...no lie. I thought I had a bad clutch master cylinder because every day for the last week I would get a small puddle of oil on the plastic part of the drivers floor mat. I checked the clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder and did not see any loss in fluid during the week. I put the bottle of brake fluid in my car just in case. Anyway, finally put on my grubbies to check out the problem only to find the rods for the brake and clutch totally clean and dry and my speedo cable leaking. So, transmission fluid must be traveling up the cable from the trans up to the speedo where it drips. Am I missing an o-ring somewhere or something? The odd thing is I was running without the cable for a couple weeks as I was still assemling the car and never saw any drips out the trans when I ran this way. Tempted here just to take the cable out and run that way. Any thoughts?

OK, still having a hard time beleiving this one. My speedo cable is leaking at the speedo...no lie. I thought I had a bad clutch master cylinder because every day for the last week I would get a small puddle of oil on the plastic part of the drivers floor mat. I checked the clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder and did not see any loss in fluid during the week. I put the bottle of brake fluid in my car just in case. Anyway, finally put on my grubbies to check out the problem only to find the rods for the brake and clutch totally clean and dry and my speedo cable leaking. So, transmission fluid must be traveling up the cable from the trans up to the speedo where it drips. Am I missing an o-ring somewhere or something? The odd thing is I was running without the cable for a couple weeks as I was still assemling the car and never saw any drips out the trans when I ran this way. Tempted here just to take the cable out and run that way. Any thoughts?

Your speedo cog might be damaged or the transcase side might be.

Did you replace the inner seal as I mentioned before?

does it have the wonderful smell of 90 weight? Maybe it's runoff from a previous owners attempts to lube the cable.

Will be interested to hear how this one shakes out..

It must be coming up the cable because I had it hanging in an upside down 'U' shape in the garage. Didn't lube it when I installed it. I'm guessing it must have been leaking when I didn't have the cable installed, I just didn't notice it. I will replace the o-rings Espirit mentioned and hopefully that fixes it. Looks like I will have to add trans fluid to :ermm: