IGNORED

Need help with ride!

aceofspades

So I got most my problems fixed. Now time to fix the ride!

No idea what kinda shock are on the car but seems I have stock springs!

I know the rear bushings are poly and rear is a bit hard ride! with some bangs!

Front seems like just pain rubber ones!

So my plan is king springs, shocks not to sure what will match well with the king's.

Bushings? I can still get rubber I take but is there a better rubber set?

like firm rubber or just stock rubber!

I don't want the firm firm of poly and I know they wear out kinda fast (4 years on my MR2).

SO what do you cats think?

• 2 weeks later...

The ride comfort really for me was more a function of Coils, Shocks and Tires - not bushings. My new tires and new coils had more impact on noise reduction (do to road bumps) as well.

So I used Urethane bushings from MSA .. for all my transverse links(front and back), the mustache bar, stabilizer tie rod(in front only - I do not have a rear stabilzer), steering wheel coupler (round 4inch diameter near the firewall) and the steering rack bushings. I'm real pleased. Just be sure to use the heavy grease that comes with these Urethane bushings as they'll squeak otherwise. Heavy lithium grease has also been referenced in this website to prevent squeaking and it's good because it's also moisture resistant.

Note: while you are doing this - if your differential mount is old - you should consider replacing this. I bought mine from MSA also.. here is the link: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/10-2251

For Coil Springs - I went with Arizona Z coils. They enable Stock hieght and a tighter ride because they are firmer than stock. My care is a 1973 240z and I very am happy with them. They made the most improvement in comfort and handling - my coils were obviously original and shot. Here is the link:

http://www.arizonazcar.com/springs.html

My shocks were installed by the prior owner and only had 5000 miles on them so I did not change them out where as the Coil Springs were original.

Hope this helps some for you.... here's a couple photos of how my car sits.

I do have 205/65/15 Tires - Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position.. I like them as they are a good balance between comfort and handling. They are for summer driving and have directional rotation.

post-14684-14150808357447_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150808358037_thumb.jpg

Edited by moritz55

My rims are 15" x 7.5" MSA (MotorsportAuto in CA)chrome wheels from about 12 years ago or so and came with the car when I bought it. The center has a cap with the "Z" logo stuck on it, such that it covers the lugs. Up close the chrome is a bit dinged up.

My tires as I mentioned are 205/65/15 Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position directionals. They are significantly better in comfort and pretty good for handling than my BFG g-Force Sport 205/60/15 tires that I had and far better than the Yokohama 205/50/15's that came with the car. The BFG tires were loud and very hard - nice for handling but terrible for comfort. These BFG tires were also slightly undersized so my speedo was off, that's why I went to the 65's. Also the 65's gave me more rubber between the rim and road for some improvements in comfort. My tire size today is just a little larger than stock (~1/2" in diameter larger in total) so my speedo measures ~1.5 MPH slower than I'm actually going at 60MPH. Somewhere in this website I read the stock tire for a 240z is 175HR14 I think... which translates into 170/82/14 equivalent size. Many use 195/70/14 tires if they have 14inch rims. Here's a good website for Tire dimensions & conversions: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Anyway - good luck on your work and keep us updated.

Edited by moritz55