IGNORED

Broke diff. insulator/arrestor strap source?

Weasel73240Z

The only time you have downforce on the pinion is during decel, and it's nowhere near as much as you have upforce during acceleration. 100% of acceleration torque goes through the pinion. If you're downshifting and using the brakes, what would you figure, maybe 15% of your decel torque comes through the pinion. Not to mention the poly Energy Suspension mount everyone uses is an interlocking style so it can't come apart. The mount on bottom is dead weight IMO.

x3

There's nothing that's "rippable."

• 2 weeks later...

Interlock is good, but there is still a chance that the material will degrade enough to cause the dredded return of the clunk.

Deadweight,, If I could I would compare the weight of the gm mount against the stock nissan mount with the snubber. The only thing I see is less money using the stock nissan mount and frame snubber.

As I eluded to, there is more than one way to skin a cat. This was the solution best for me.

It's not solid. You still use the original rubber mount with an added snubber to reduce the amount the diff will move. There is still movement.

The RT mount does not transmit any vibration or noise inside the cabin. And as noted the strap does stretch allowing too much movement and breaking the mount.

And the RT mount bolts directly in place of the strap and its brackets.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125585&highlight=mount

This is the snubber I used to go over the top.

http://www.suspension.com/9-9101R.jpg

Darrel,

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I am having a hard time picturing where the snubber over the top goes. Or are you using the snubber instead of the GM trans mount? Do you have any pictures of this installed.

Thanks,

Marty

Marty,

Sorry no pics. I was going to the track the next day and I was replacing the diffy as well. It wasn't fun only having 3 hrs of sleep before getting up to go to the track.

I am using the snubber and the stock mount. The stock mount in it's original location and the snubber goes in the hole which is already drilled in the RT mount. I am not using the gm mount.

zmanco/hybridz, zmanco/here used this method as well as a couple of other guys in the area. We ordered all of our mounts together. I think most of us have it installed. I am checking to see if either one of them has pics.

Edited by Darrel

Marty,

Sorry no pics. I was going to the track the next day and I was replacing the diffy as well. It wasn't fun only having 3 hrs of sleep before getting up to go to the track.

I am using the snubber and the stock mount. The stock mount in it's original location and the snubber goes in the hole which is already drilled in the RT mount. I am not using the gm mount.

zmanco/hybridz, zmanco/here used this method as well as a couple of other guys in the area. We ordered all of our mounts together. I think most of us have it installed. I am checking to see if either one of them has pics.

I see it now. Using the snubber in place of the GM mount makes sense. Was there a reason that you didn't like the GM mount?

I noticed that the RT Mount has a vertical reinforcement on it. Does that go toward the front or the rear?

Marty

Yes, the reinforcement goes toward the rear.

When I looked the the RT mount it seemed to me that the snubber was the best solution for me. From pics on hybridz it looked like some had to also grind the gm mount to fit the top of the diffy. Not sure if that was because of differences in mounts or all gm mounts.

and another, in this one a mount was modified a bit to make it work.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=144664&highlight=mount+install

Darrel,

Thanks, that helps a lot. You know what they say about a picture is worth a thousand words.

It looks like he is using a different mount than the snubber or the GM Mount.

I'll have to contact this guy to see if he has any available. It will make a nice little winter project, since the car is going into hibernation soon.

Marty