IGNORED

Looking for appraisal info for a restored 240Z

FricFrac

Your car looks nice. It should be no problem to get it insured for the high teens to low 20's, based on the pictures.

Yes it was from Downtown Datsun.

By the way, I have vintage Seattle Downtown Datsun dealer frames on two of my cars.

-Mike

post-9102-14150808067875_thumb.jpg

That works now. Did you get the car in the Seattle area? How long have you had it? I recall a car posted on the Seattle craigslist a couple of years ago that sounded like it had a similar history.

-Mike

I purchased the car here in Victoria, BC just north of Seattle. I've had it for a grand total of one week tomorow. The car was sold to the restorer in 2006. Here is the E-Bay listing description of the car when it was purchased before restoring in 2006.

"My father purchased this car in 1977 from the second owner. The first owners were two race car drivers famous in the local racing circuitof the time. They purchased 6 1972 240Z's with the intention of tricking them out and racing them. This car has a rare 5 speed manual transmission, 3 double barrel Solex carburetors, 4 wheel independant pozzitraction suspension and aluminum wheels. They also had the car painted Corvette Silver and replaced the original black plastic tail light surround with a chrome tail light surround. Of the 6 cars originally purchased two were completed and ready for racing, (this one and one last known to be located in Bellvue, WA). The two men were apparently sped demons of every kinds and before completing the other 4 Z's for racing decided to fly a single prop airplane underneat the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. One of the wings of the plane hit the water and they both perished in the crash. The two completed Z's were used as pace cars for a memorial race in 1973 in their honor. There is a plaque on the center consol to commemorate the race. It was clocked at 165 MPH."

I know the original owner was Douglas A Mouat whom I've tried to track down but haven't found any info yet. The memorial plaque is still in the car after its restoration in memory of Phil Boersig and Terry Sweet. I'd love to learn whatever history of the car I can so if anyone in the Seattle area knows anything about this car please let me know.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the quality of and proof of true restoration.

A member here bought a car that was advertised as a "fully restored" early 240Z. The car was "restored" by a gentleman touting himself to be fully qualified in restoration because of having a few magazine photograph his work, and having "won" peoples choice awards(with other cars) at MSA, in addition to owning and operating a Datsun Parts Limited Liability Corporation selling parts and engines on ebay, and now on the web as well.

The "fully restored 240Z" was actually a 35 footer modified 240Z, it had serious mechanical and chassis issues as delivered, including, but by no means limited to, no suspension travel, no brakes, lose wheels, 11 actual kinks in the chassis(buckling the rear floor) from being hit front and rear. In one place(the Ds Dogleg) the bondo was six inches deep, and the sides of the hatch opening were formed with 1" of bondo at the bottom, sloping up to solid metal at the roof line. The car was almost 2" longer on the drivers side than the passengers side,The rear of the car had been pushed in two inches at its crest, and most of the reassembly was done with tech screws. This car was said to be a fully restored and show ready 240Z.

Not that your car has any even similar issues, but having documentation of what was actually done to the car and its pre-and post-restoration condition is something that would go a long way to establish the value of the car.

Any and every appraisal and inspection should go far deeper than the visible parts on the car. Not that your car is an example of this, but as proven with the car I mention, it is too easy to hide serious issues that compromise the integrity of the car with several gallons of bondo and some new paint.

Will

I've had the car appraised by a profesional appraiser with 37 years experience at $24,680 CND for those who were curious. I'm still looking for others that have bought/sold a restored car to add to the portfoilio - extra info never hurts when it comes to insurance.

Hello fricfrac , yours is a great looking Z ,if you want some locals to see it and help you with you estimation of value you should plan to be in Vancouver on the weekend of 19-20 of Sept for a day of autocross on sat and show and shine on Sunday. Here is the link http://www.dnbc.ca/ . I unfortunately won't be ready with my Z as lacrosse keeps getting in our way although we will be there, albeit in the Pathfinder .

Hope to see your car in person . There is another member from this forum from the Island ''Langford Chuck'' and I believe he is making the trip over as well .

later

Chris