IGNORED

Dangerus electrical problem

TSchytt

Hi

My 280zx, 1980, now have a another dangerus electrical problem. Im completly lost!.

The problem starts when I start fast from a crossing, take a quick turn or at a take over that requires a sudden rise in the RPM. The fuel and door lamp goes on and then the engine starts to cut of.

I can barly keep it running on a few pistons and when I stop I hear the fuel relay click and then it quits!.

When I turn the key it will start immediatly. Usually it will then run ok but after a few miles the same happen now without a rise in the RPM. Other times it will run perfectly for a week or more.

The ecu test lamp shows an error on the battery when I start the engine again but it disapairs shortly after.

There is also a light smell of unburnt gas

It maybe isnt connected but somethimes my tachometer shut down. But newer at the same time as the above occurs.

The alternator is brand new....

I have checked every single connection in the engine compartment that I can find and I belive also below the dash.

I have promised my friend that he can borrow her for his wedding Friday so Im afraid I prosmissed too much.

If any of you have tried something simlar or maybe have a idea please let me know - thanks!!

I searched the internet.

I found this:

DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR.—When problems point to possible distributor cap or rotor troubles, remove and inspect them. The distributor cap should be carefully checked to see that sparks have not been arcing from point to point. Both interior and exterior must be clean. The firing points should not be eroded, and the interior of the towers must be clean. The rotor tip, from which the high-tension spark jumps to each distributor cap terminal, should not be worn. It also should be checked for excessive burning, carbon trace, looseness, or other damage. Any wear or irregularity will result in excessive resistance to the high-tension spark. Make sure that the rotor fits snugly on the distributor shaft. A common problem arises when a CARBON TRACE (small line of carbonlike substance that conducts electricity) forms on the inside of the distributor cap or outer edge of the rotor. The carbon trace will short coil voltage to ground or to a wrong terminal lug in the distributor cap. A carbon trace will cause the spark plugs to either fire poorly or not at all. Using a droplight, check the inside of the distributor cap for cracks and carbon trace. Carbon trace is black which makes it hard to see on a black- colored distributor cap. If carbon trace or a crack is found, replace the distributor cap or rotor.

There was a lot of trace onn the contact points.

Cleaned this and all visible wireconnections in the engine compartment.

No problems yet.