IGNORED

Emmissions stickers

TomoHawk

Do we have pictures or drawings of the different emmissions labels, for informational purposes?

Mine is supposed to be "federal" emmissions, and since there is no label on the hood (or it was covered with undercoating) the exhaust guys are a little uncomfortable working on the exhaust.

thxZ

I presume your '78 is a non-California model. Right? If so, there's no cat on it. Having said that, mine is also a '78 non-California, and someone actually did put a cat on it. Aside from the cat, I don't think there are any other exhaust issues. (Are there?)

Anyway, I'll take a pic of my sticker for you when I find a moment.

Mine is supposed to have "federal" emiisions, whatever that is; hence my question. There isn't much documentation on the different emmissions types.But from what I did learn about catalytic concerters is that they are designed to operate in certain regions of the U.S., (Like southwest/hotter states, New England/temperate area, alaska/arctic, etc.) and you can't just put "any" catalytic converter on it.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

On a 30 year old car you pretty much can put 'any' catalytic converter on it as the standards really aren't as stringent as they are for newer cars. Generally on a older car, if it fails, it's usually not the cat that causes it, in my experience.

As promised, here is an image of my original, under-hood stickers -- one for the emissions and one for the A/C.

emissions%20and%20ac%20stickers.jpg

As I said before, cats weren't installed on '78 280Z's, except in California. As you can see, mine is a non-california ("non-catalyst") and low altitude version. Mine has a generic cat on it for some reason. I don't think there are any Virginia laws relating to retrofitting of cats. (My '66 Mustang doesn't have to have one.)

As has been suggested, any cat should be fine if you have to put one on. Just be careful that it has adequate heat shielding.

BTW, I moved from Ohio a few years ago, and they weren't doing emissions testing or even state inspections when I left. Are they testing emissions now? Perhaps that's a Cleveland thing?

Peace,

Sarah

Edited by FastWoman

Ohio still has emissions testing.

You get several years grace period before required testing, then they just hook up a scanner to see what the engine computer has stored, and go from there if further testing is required. I had my 280Z checked with an exhaust sniffer for a few years to see how the engine was working.

Ohio still has emissions testing.

You get several years grace period before required testing, then they just hook up a scanner to see what the engine computer has stored, and go from there if further testing is required. I had my 280Z checked with an exhaust sniffer for a few years to see how the engine was working.

Is there a cutoff year in Ohio? In California 1976 and newer have to be tested. When I had my Z and 810, I used a Gunson Gastester Digital which is an exhaust analyser (love that British spelling), to test and adjust mine before each bi annual emissions test. Neither car ever failed during my ownership.

Does the whole state require emissions testing, or just certain counties?

I ask because only two counties in Indiana, basically the Gary area, are required to do emissions testing. I have always wondered if that was typical of the eastern midwest, or just this particular state.

(Not that it matters if you live in a county that requires testing.)