IGNORED

Fix it or forget it?

gema

Hello, fellow z-nuts.

To make a long story very short, I recently returned home from school to my rolling shell, and would like some expert opinion on the damage that has been waiting for me. There's rust in the usual places and I'm enthusiastic about the work ahead of me, but perhaps there's something I'm not seeing as my eyes haven't been properly trained.

I've taken a dozen photos of the car, focusing on the 'problem spots' I can identify. I suppose I'm thinking of this as a consultation on whether or not to proceed with this car, or to wait and purchase a better platform.

Thanks in advance for the always sagely advice.

post-5232-14150807859327_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807860077_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807860842_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807861601_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807862261_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807862915_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807863552_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807864206_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807864966_thumb.jpg

post-5232-14150807865636_thumb.jpg

Rob is right, it can be fixed. Here on the West coast though, most people would consider that much rust to be terminal, unless that car was low-VIN, had family sentimental value, or something else special about it. But in your part of the country? Finding a project that's a better starting point might be tough.

I have to agree with both Arne and Rob on this one. If you weld it is just time forming the parts you can and getting the already formed parts from a supplier where available. I bent and welded in sheet metal in all of the places you are showing. I finished a car close to yours, better in some places and worse in others. As Arne said I would of started with a better chassis if I had not bought this car from my mother over thirty years ago. The car in question is the one shown on this post.

Gema, I have to get in on this also. My original color was orange. But my pictures looked just like yours. I had the same rust , holes and all. The avatar is my Z now.

Once you get the rust cleaned up some more , do what Jim said and weld in some new metal . I wouldn't start cutting until you have the replacement parts in hand. Except for the inner fender , remove the rotten metal . If you don't weld , I don't either, find a shop or someone with a tig and get a bid. Zedd Findings , Charlie Osborne , He has sheet metal for most of the rotten areas. Give him a try for replacement parts. I used his floor pans on my Z. First rate.

Gary

Gentlemen,

You have me sold. It has a moderate amount of sentimental value (My Dad owned a 72 back in the day, and I'll track the VIN down someday), and frankly, I have nothing else to learn and master right now - I just graduated!

I'm putting a deposit down on a welding course at my local community college this Friday :)

Thanks,

Nate