IGNORED

Correct hoods

JohnnyO

Some day you'll have to teach me how to search.

Easy for me. I have read just about every thread twice on the early cars and visit Kat's site often enough. Just try thinking of a few key words that possibly would be used for the search. Just about anything you ever wanted to know is at our fingertips...amazing to me! I remember the days making the trip to the library hoping to get information. That was hit or miss at best.

The reason I am asking because I found a rusted out 72 for sale and after going to look at it I noticed that it had a series 1 hatch with vertical defrost lines and the hood looked "different". I just couldn't figure out what the difference was. If I remember correctly it did not have the gusset or the holes as described in 26th's thread.

Geezer, every time I search this site I get way too many hits. I don't think the search engine understands "quoting" when searching. If it did it would only return results with my exact request in it. I don't think it is doing that.

Either way, it is great that we have people like you to assist us "search challenged" people.

Thanks again.

John

No, I don't think the search tool recognizes 'quoting'. It takes a while to find exactly what you're looking for and it can be a little aggrivating. But kats had a big dicussion about three (I think) different steel pressings for the inside of the hood. The hood is made up of several layers of stamped metal shapes folded over each other and spot welded together. Obviously, the later style with the gussets is stronger. I should weigh them and see what the difference is.

The next big difference is in the rail for the hood latch. The later style has holes stamped in the metal and the pressing around the latch mount is smaller. Between my two really early hoods,it is difficult to see, the way the metal is folded is different between the yellow hood and the green hood. The green hood has a tab that folds over to form the side rail of the hood. The yellow one just has a solid fold all along each side of the hood.

post-4148-14150807788925_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150807789385_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150807789642_thumb.jpg