IGNORED

need shelby rim pics asap

JohnnyO

Hey , Johnny 'o here are some pics of what my z rides on . When I bought my car they were on it and I was thrilled . All the caps were there, although pitted they came up nice with some polish and elbow grease . I scuffed the black paint and re -painted with dupli color wheel paint ,can't remember the paint code off hand as my shop is elsewhere . After I polished the caps I sprayed them with black chrome dupli-color and they came out awesome !

I love the look of these old skool wheels and when they get new rubber to finish them off it will be great . I intend to buy Falken Azensie's to help in the twistys , although I will consult with Arne before I lay out the $

Hope my pic's are what you are looking for .

See ya

chris

post-15588-1415080776138_thumb.jpg

post-15588-1415080776189_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150807762409_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150807762902_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150807763404_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150807763894_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150807764392_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150807764887_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I found a 72 that was in "Great" shape according to the owner. I thought I would take a look at it. Turns out it is a complete rust bucket. All 4 corners, the valance, floor boards and frame rails and fire wall by battery tray. Oddly enough the battery tray looks like only surface rust but the firewall surrounding it has holes in it. The only thing that didnt have rust was the hatch but that was replaced with a series 1 hatch with vertical defrost lines.

Once I started pointing this out to the owner he quickly dropped is price to $500 for the car and a ton of parts. 2 extra hatches, 2 front quarters, extra set of 3 screw SU's, 2 gas tanks (1 looks almost new), a front spoiler, a crack free 72 dash, 2 am/fm hitachis, spare red interior panels, 2 extra doors, a lot of glass, an extra set of rims, etc. The car had factory a/c.

So I started looking at what he had to see if I could get my money back by parting it out and taking the parts I wanted. I checked out the rims on the car and noticed the center caps said "Carrol Shelby Wheels" or something like that. Weird thing is that I dont recall seeing the common Cobra image on the center caps. They were NOT Libre's. They look more like a turbine with a lot of spokes coming all the way to the center cap. He also has a second set of rims with the car that looks like post 4 above. Maybe the center caps are from the extra set of wheels.

He also has an original, in the boxes, set of IMSA Rear Flares for sale. He bought them in the late 70's or early 80's and they just sat. He says they are different than the ones available now because they come up higher on the rear quarter, just below the badges. I might try to get him to throw those in to sweeten the deal.

I was really hoping the car would be a runner but it looks like parts only and I want to be able to sell some parts to get my money back and I think the wheels are the best shot.

If he takes my offer I will post some pictures of the wheels to close out this thread. Thanks again.

The "Serpent" by Shelby is the only vaned wheel with the spokes extending to the center cap, as far as I know that were made to fit the Z. Can't help with the center caps.

Edited by geezer
added pic

The "Serpent" by Shelby is the only vaned wheel with the spokes extending to the center cap, as far as I know that were made to fit the Z. Can't help with the center caps.
The Superior turbine also had vanes going all the way to the center. Beandip has a set on his 240Z.

The Superior turbine also had vanes going all the way to the center. Beandip has a set on his 240Z.

I'm sure there are others. I should have made it more clear that I was refering to wheels made by Shelby.

I'm sure there are others. I should have made it more clear that I was refering to wheels made by Shelby.

Yep, caught that in your post. Well thanks all. I made an offer on the heap of crap this guy has just to get a few parts I want. If I get it most will end up in the recycling pile due to rust thru but I will salvage what I can and will probably be listing both sets of wheels.

Appreciate the help.

John

• 2 months later...

My Cobras have vanes that go all the way to the (plastic) center cap:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=25201

I don't know if they were marketed specifically for the Z, but their offset is correct and use no adapters...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all , I was wanting to help you guys with a method to polish the aluminum caps and for that matter all small parts '' ie , wheel nuts , hinge parts ,etc .

We have a hobby size rock tumbler that my wife uses for jewelry making . When a silver smith finishes a piece they then place the item in the tumbler with what is known in the industry as stainless steel pins . You then take a little bit of Ivory bar soap and a little water for lubrication and then tighten up the tumblers lid and and place it on the rollers for several hrs until you are satisfied with the finish , a ring might take a few hours where as my center caps I polished overnight . The pits almost completely disappeared and then the autosol finished the rest .

Stainless pins can be purchased at any good jewelry or lapidary supply store for around 30$ lb and they last forever .I'm sure a media tumbler would do the same thing .

Zee ya

Chris