IGNORED

BMW seats in a Z

psdenno

I'm currently trying to figure out how to mount a set of BMW seats in my Z as a relatively inexpensive upgrade. So, I did a Google search that linked to a BMW 2002 forum message thread that started with this message:

"From: jeckel30 in SLC

Subject: Anyone Use Datsun Seats?

I have been looking around for seats that won't break the bank. I have found a pretty good set of Datsun seats from an old 240z. Does anyone have any of these types of seats in their 02? I am not opposed to fabbing up seat mounts, as I just want something that looks good and is comfortable. I have been searching for a while and I am not really wanting to pay exhorbant prices for Recaro's on ebay."

Not that that post helped me with my issue, but it's nice to know that there really is balance in the universe. :)

Dennis

Well my 2 cents really don't count for much, its worth about 2 cents, but why would you put Datsun seats in a BMW?

I know there are BMW seats that would fit and maybe HLS30.com will give some insight to this. We have found a couple of BMW seats at the local junk yard.

I would guess you are going to have to mod the rails on the seats to fit into your 240.

Also a nice upgrade for seats are the 90-96 300ZX seats. They range in price from 100 a set to 300 a set. I am looking for a set in the local junk yard to try and save.

I have been working on mounts, and trying to link up skype wise with another member for a couple of week, and every time it looks like I have time set aside to get on the stick, something happens and the project gets shelved again.

I will be working on them over the next few nights after the rest of the household has gone to bed.

I have two sets, one motorized and one manual-the motorized ones are way too high, without removing the motorized tracks.

As I get this together, I will take pictures and post them into this thread-and if time permits, maybe those of us who are interested can have a teleconference via skype or an apropriate piece of software.

Will

Well my 2 cents really don't count for much, its worth about 2 cents, but why would you put Datsun seats in a BMW?

The point of my post was that I was amused by the irony of a Z owner wanting BMW seats in a Z and a BMW owner considering Z seats for his Bimmer. The grass always appears greener on the other side of the street.

Will and I have communicated on how to adapt the seats and I've seen them in a Z - so it can be done. Adapting Z rails is the magic part as even the manual BMW seats sit too high on their own rails. I'm sure it will all work out, eventually.

Dennis

There is a seat interchange list here somewhere... :)

I put the Eclipse seats in my car because it did raise the height so I could get my elbow out the window. the OE seats made me feel like I was sitting on the floor. I just need to duck a little when I put a helmet on, or there is a little dent in the headliner for a day. :P

BTW- What's so great about BMW seats? Which ones?

There is a seat interchange list here somewhere... :)

I put the Eclipse seats in my car because it did raise the height so I could get my elbow out the window. the OE seats made me feel like I was sitting on the floor. I just need to duck a little when I put a helmet on, or there is a little dent in the headliner for a day. :P

BTW- What's so great about BMW seats? Which ones?

The seat interchange threads I've read say the BMW seats fit well, but they don't detail the steps for installation - sort of a key missing piece. :stupid:

What's nice about the BMW seats is that they are narrow and Recaro - lots of adjustments, recline, thigh support adjusts out, supportive. Look for BMW 318 or 325 seats on ebay or your local Pick-A-Part.

Dennis

The reason why there usually aren't details on how to put the different kinds of seats into a Z is because the procedure is basically the same for all; modify the stock supports or make new ones. Some are individually documented here in the forum area, but it wouldn't be practical to document each swap you see in an interchange list, except possibly for a short note on whether the stock suports were used, modified or replaced.

I guess my frustration is that most posts on swapping seats are "look what I can do" and lack the "look at how I did it" part. I'm sure there are countless seats that could be shoe horned into a Z, but it's the degree of difficulty that intrigues me - especially with the BMW seats I plan to put in mine. I'm sure it will all work out.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

At the expense of NOT sounding stupid, I did bother to look at the appropriate links via the search function. As most of us know, "Search" is our friend. However, Search is effective only when there is something posted for which to search. I did not intend for this to become a total pissing contest. Perhaps responses are more appropriately made by PM.

Dennis

The whole thread here is to set up a detailed, complete and reproduceable installation of BMW E31 sport seats.

We do not want an "others similar", chilton or Haynes style answer, but an exact step by step installation instruction of this specific seat into this specific Z car.

While there are similarities, there are differences too, and as we entertain several threads on spindle pin removal, tuning Carburetors, Reupholstering seats, Painting a Z, automatic transmissions that fit a Z, and almost every other possible Z topic, having a specific thread that ultimately becomes a Technical article is completely within the scope of acceptability of this club.

Anything not relating directly to the specific installation of these BMW seats into an S30(or s30 seats into a BMW;) would be better off in a PM, or elsewhere!

Edited by hls30.com