IGNORED

Fuel system schematic

Hello

i am new here. I have a 73 240Z with a 280Z turbo engine. I bought it several years ago and it has never ran. The engine has been rebuilt and installed. It has an electric fuel pump and after market regulator. All the fuel lines are off. Does anybody have a basic drawing or schematic on how to hook this up? I am a rookie here, and i dont quite know how to search the threads properly. This car was stripped down to the very last bolt refinished and painted. Looks great but i am going to need some supprot to get it back together. Help please

Hello

i am new here. I have a 73 240Z with a 280Z turbo engine. I bought it several years ago and it has never ran.

"It" the 73 240Z or "It" the 280ZX Turbo engine???

The engine has been rebuilt and installed.

The complete 280ZX Tubo engine - or are you useing just the long block - that you plan to run carb's on?

It has an electric fuel pump and after market regulator. All the fuel lines are off. Does anybody have a basic drawing or schematic on how to hook this up? I am a rookie here, and i dont quite know how to search the threads properly. This car was stripped down to the very last bolt refinished and painted. Looks great but i am going to need some supprot to get it back together. Help please

Sounds like you are actually doing an L28ET complete swap. You do know that you'll need to either change the fuel tank or add some type of surge tank - right?

You didn't mention what engine management system you plan to use. Are you going to use the original L28ET ECU or are you going to up-grade to something else?

I would suggest that you get on E-Bay and search for a Factory Service Manual for the 280ZX with the Turbo Supplement.

Also it would be helpful if you provide a lot more specific details about exactly what you have and what you plan... Pictures are a great addition to our understanding as well...

All these types of engine swaps have been done many times - so you should be able to complete yours...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I bought the car 2 years ago. The swap was already done. Thats where the nightmare begins. I had a hacker mechanic work on it (guy who said that he knew Zs). He took everything apart, and i mean evrything, including the gas tank and lines. I picked the car up in boxes of pieces. Since then i have been piecing it together. The gas tank is missing and all the lines are off. The car is a 73. The engine is a 76 Turbo. It has an after market distributor with a fireball coil. Just trying to get spark today. I will post pictures tomorrow. Fortunately i have a 72 240z parts car.Can i use the gas tank out of the 72? I heard that you need a tank from a turbo engine.

I bought the car 2 years ago. The swap was already done. Thats where the nightmare begins. I had a hacker mechanic work on it (guy who said that he knew Zs). He took everything apart, and i mean evrything, including the gas tank and lines. I picked the car up in boxes of pieces.

Hi Mike:

Sorry to hear that - but you are not the only person that has happened to. One guy found a "body man" that took his car apart - collected the money for replacement parts and body shop supplies.. then left town. The "body man" was working on the car out of a rental garage, on which the rent hadn't been paid for several months. The owner of the car wound up paying several months back rent - just so he could get in the garage and get his car out - in boxes. After that he found that not only were there no new parts, but many of his parts were missing.

Since then i have been piecing it together. The gas tank is missing and all the lines are off. The car is a 73. The engine is a 76 Turbo.

It could be a 76 L28E with an aftermarket turbo set up.

Or it could be an 81-83 L28ET factory turbo engine.

Most likely quite a difference between the two possibilities. Get the engine serial number off the block and Post it - then we'd have a better idea of what your dealing with. The engine serial number should be stamped into the block, just below the #6 spark plug.

It has an after market distributor with a fireball coil. Just trying to get spark today. I will post pictures tomorrow. Fortunately i have a 72 240z parts car.Can i use the gas tank out of the 72? I heard that you need a tank from a turbo engine.

There are several options, among them are:

1. fuel tank from a 75/76 280Z {edited per sblake01 below -thanks Stephen}

2. modify the fuel tank from the 240Z (hard to do)

3. install a serge tank

You can't use a stock 240Z fuel tank as it isn't baffled properly to supply constant fuel to the pickup - a lean condition on a turbo engine can melt pistons in a heart beat.

By all means post some pictures ...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Carl, #1 should be ammended to read 'fuel tank from a 75-76 280Z' since the later tank wouldn't fit the 240Z. At least I don't think it would. I owned a 78 for all those years and having seen the fuel tank I just don't think it would fit.

Could i use a suel cell instead? I think that the surge tank might be here. I dont have any experience,but i will take pictures. If it is a surge tank, can i use it with the 240 tank or is that out of the question? Oh ya, he also stripped the paint off the whole car with a sander. It caused oil can conditions and deep grooves/ i paid over 6 Grand to get it fixed. The body was actually pretty good in the first place. Hr thought it needed 100 percent grinding. the only good tning is that it looks great now.If only i can get it back together. Ill yru yo post pics later

Hello

I just uploaded 7 photos. I am not good at this. I put them in the members gallery. I tried to view them . they show "pending approval". Key words are Lime Ricky and Lime Green 240 turbo.Can you see if you can view them and comment on the particular photo of the buffer tank. Thanks. Mike