IGNORED

How long to wait for paint to dry?

rtaylor

While finding my door rattle I figure its time to replace the upper door front weather strip. So I pulled off the old one and to my horror and shook I found the first piece of rust on my car! Imagine my surprise! I really did think I was immune. :laugh: I removed the surface rust with a dremel and plan to shoot it with self etching primer tonight when I get home, then top coat it. It is only about 1 inch square where the sash meets the door, under the small front part of the seal.

How long should I wait until I use the black 3m adhesive to glue down the new riubber? Thanks.

Randy, you probably realize this but it hasn't been said so I thought I would mention the importance of locating the rubber correctly the first time. If you try to reposition it you will increase the risk of pulling fresh paint. Good luck!

The seal that I purchased doesn't have the three holes punched Ron. I have to fit and then pull it and drill the holes after I mark it. Thanks for the heads up on getting it correct the first time. Looks like I will have to trim the end closest to the hinge and on the outside edge on the square part of the seal as well.

Hummm.... If I'm thinking of the right seal - that square end is supposed to go over the metal on the door and under the stainless steel window frame. That is to say that the rubber is sandwiched between the two parts.

If you trim it, and you don't have something between that window frame and the steel in the door - road vibration may cause the window frame to wear or knock the paint off the metal...and you can wind up having the rust come back.

As I recall, I rolled the window down, then loosened to bolts that go though the door so that I could pry the window frame back just far enough to stick the rubber seal back over the metal door lip...

FWIW,

Carl B.