IGNORED

Works rally 240Z resto featured in OCTANE Magazine.

HS30-H

I think Allen is right in that the car I'm remembering was Kevin's other Z. And no Carl, the pic you posted is not the one Im thinking of. It was a black and white from the 1970's of an airborne Z in a rally race., quite an amazing shot in Classic and Sportscar I'll have to find and post.

I think Allen is right in that the car I'm remembering was Kevin's other Z......

....It was a black and white from the 1970's of an airborne Z in a rally race., quite an amazing shot in Classic and Sportscar I'll have to find and post.

This photo perhaps?

Just to confirm, this is Kevin's other historic rally 240Z - UK registration number 'OMT 868K':

post-2116-14150807547529_thumb.jpg

To continue the story of Kevin's Works car;

The photos for the OCTANE Magazine feature were taken soon after the car was finally legal for road use ( M.O.T. test passed, Road Fund License obtained and insurance paid ), but at that point Kevin had not really driven the car other than - shall we say - carefully and respectfully.

However, Kevin was invited to take part in the 'Hamilton Classic Motor Sport History of Rallying' display at the 2008 'Rally Show' at the Chatsworth House stately home in Derbyshire, England on 6th and 7th June. Members of the 'Slowly Sideways' group ( all owners and users of historic rally machinery ) would display their cars at the show, and also take part in 'demo' runs on the rally stage.

Typical English rallying weather prevailed ( torrential rain for the whole weekend ) and the other modern and historic cars running on the stage turned it into a quagmire with some extremely deep ridges. But undaunted, Kevin still took the car around twice on each day and put on a great display for the brave spectators. I was lucky enough to be asked to sit-in as pretend navigator ( actually no more than ballast :) ) and enjoyed myself immensely. It was a great privilege and an honour, and I am very grateful to Kevin for asking me.

You can see some great shots of the car in action at Chatsworth, taken by photographer Mark Sims, on his 'Rally Gallery' website:

http://www.rallygallery.com/2009_CHATS.aspx

( just click on the 'History of Rallying' tab )

As you can see, 'TKS 33 SA 3640' once again wore English mud as a badge of honour, and paid tribute to the men in Japan who built her, the men who drove and serviced her in-period, and bore testament to the dedication and determination of Kevin, who rescued her and made her live again.......

Alan T.

post-2116-14150807547887_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807548694_thumb.jpg

post-2116-1415080754951_thumb.jpg

post-2116-1415080755026_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807550958_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807551626_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807552295_thumb.jpg

I thought the works cars had cross flow heads? I guess the original engine was long gone when Kevin found the car?

No, the works rally cars did not get the 'LY' crossflow heads until well into 1972, And even then it was not every car.

The engine of 'TKS 33 SA 3640' is extremely original. Original block, head, crank, rods, pistons, valves, valve springs (!), cam, sump, flywheel, pulleys, manifolds, carbs, etc etc etc. All the original works parts, and quite different from those of the standard cars. Very interesting to look at in a kind of post-mortem situation, although the 'patient' was revived - Lazarus like - and seemed to have suffered no ill effects from its decades of suspended animation......

post-2116-14150807561751_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807562314_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807562868_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

I do love the historical side of the works S30's, and thanks for adding a bit more than just the article (the photos above). I got a copy of the magazine, but as usual I wanted to know more, and felt the article could have had more in-depth detail. But considering the magazine is usually home to European marques, it was a good starting point.

Cheers

Ian

Hi again Alan,

Been thinking while doing some work, do you have any other photos of this works rally car when Kevin aquired it, pre-restoration (apart from the one in the article when found, above), you would mind sharing with us? This may go in some small way to show the work/dedication Kevin put into this to get to the finished article.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I took photos of the car all the way through the process, so I've got hundreds if not thousands of images of the car.

However, all the early ones are pre-digital camera - so I will have to choose some to scan and add to the thread. Bear with me, as I'm quite busy at the moment.

Cheers,

Alan T.