IGNORED

Copper intake/exhaust gasket

jtl260z

I was wondering if anyone out there has toyed with the idea of a copper intake/exhaust gasket?

The factory and aftermarket gaskets seem to be either crap or one step above crap.

I am considering having one produced and tested. The only problem I could possibly see would be the cost, but it would be worth it in the long run, especially for anyone running a modified Z.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I've had no problems with the currently available gaskets, so I don't know how much demand there might be for such a beast.

Also, I moved this thread out of the "Using the Website" forum and into the Engine and Drivetrain" forum instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd worry about galvanic corrosion between the aluminum, copper, and steel on the exhaust side. Exhaust gasses are acidic and hot, and any differences in the galvanic properties of the interfaced metals is going to result in rapid corrosion. I *think* the steel in your exhaust will probably corrode away, losing electrons to the copper. I don't know about the aluminum (head) side, which would of course be the greater problem.

FAIW, we just replaced the gas filler neck on our boat. It had corroded off, and we ended up dumping about a gallon of raw gas into the bilge. The problem was that a galvanized iron pipe was screwed into the brass deck fitting -- courtesy of the previous owner.

I'd worry about galvanic corrosion between the aluminum, copper, and steel on the exhaust side. Exhaust gasses are acidic and hot, and any differences in the galvanic properties of the interfaced metals is going to result in rapid corrosion. I *think* the steel in your exhaust will probably corrode away, losing electrons to the copper. I don't know about the aluminum (head) side, which would of course be the greater problem.

FAIW, we just replaced the gas filler neck on our boat. It had corroded off, and we ended up dumping about a gallon of raw gas into the bilge. The problem was that a galvanized iron pipe was screwed into the brass deck fitting -- courtesy of the previous owner.

I did think about that but I also took into consideration that some aftermarket performance part manufacturers produce copper exhaust manifold and header flange gaskets...I was also considering using aluminum instead of copper.

My car might not be the best choice for a test vehicle either since my header is ceramic coated.

I have been running a gasket from MSA that they sell for use with headers. It was recommended to me by phred, an engine builder and member on this site. That was 7 or 8 years ago . No leaks so far, and I am running headers also.

During this time span I have had to pull the intake once but I didn't need to change the gasket. Seems phred was correct.

Gary:beer:

• 6 months later...