IGNORED

curious valve train noise.

yetterben

my f54/p79 setup in my 240z never made a peep on the valve train....until today. I took it on a spirited run in the country with some pulls to 6 grand. when i got home i had some ticking going on. It actually only sounds like one or maybe two. Its not that bad and you can't really hear it over the fan unless you in the engine bay and listen. I have certainly heard worse sewing machine hondas in my day. Should i attempt to adjust or just roll with it?

Adjusted everything to spec today. Engine was warm. checked 3 times to makes sure each time i drove it in between to make sure. Still this one tick. i am positive its only one as i cn drop my idle down to 450 and it is clearly just one...argh......

If you have the original camshaft with oil spray bar I suggest you check the integrity of the rear cantilevered bar. If it is loose / broke you may have done damage to the corresponding rocker arms / cam lobes which will create an annoying tick.

i dont see a oil spray bar. Any pics? my cam has holes in the lobe. I checked it again i do have a few where the feeler goes in with a little drag but on the way out it feels to easy. I also noticed i have compression noise coming from the timing chain area when i turn it over buy hand. I did a leak down test all cyl are between 5-7 percent. Compression is 180 across the board plus minus 2#'s

Its hard to say whats on this engine. Someone once upon a time had a clue but they guy i got it from sure as hell didnt. he took care of it but had no clue. He told me it was a 280 block with 240 head. I was like sweet until i got home and saw it was just a zx engine. So i have no idea if the cam has been changed. It does have a nice rumble at idle but nothing radical.

Edited by yetterben

re did the valves today all perfect. now no tick at idle rev it up a little and it ticks little worse than before like all of them now. Its not as loud though. How much tick in these is normal? is it possible they where to tight before and they did not tick because of that?