IGNORED

My 240z project-will be updated frequently

Well heres the start,2 days in so far.

Some of it goes backwards but why slack. Spray bomb in black what Ive done so it doesnt start any more surface rust. Then when I work on it agian I try to go atleast an inch into the black paint to start with and work away.

First few pictures are when I first got it inside the shop,mind you the quality is horrible but its from my phone. The rest will be much much better. Doesnt show it complete but all the parts are there and then some.

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/eric_503/240z/

So far the biggest decision,do I braze or do I mig weld the patches in?

And on the count,Ive had one person slam on the brakes and throw it into reverse to stop in and check it out so far.We'll see how many it leads up to.

Any questions just ask.

I was thinking I got lucky with it. Apparently they were brutal for rust,that and being in canada doesnt help with the rust.

Theres a small hole at the bottom of the left front shock tower.The rest of the engine bay and outside is coated in something,almost like an undercoat or something Im not sure what it is yet anything else is surface rust around the engine bay. Plus that patch on the front left you can see where I started to cut the top and bottom of it out. Floor was cut out in a couple spots on the drivers side,and the back right of the bottom of the bumper has a hole. Besides that its solid.

Picking up some shocks,and rims tommorow.

Any suggestions as Im sure alot of you are alot more educated then me at 240z's

Also,theres no reason for me to loose hope at all,She'll be done and tearing up the roads,having people ask what kind of ferrari it is ;).

Could actually use a pointer. I want it to sound similar to this

any know how on that or?

Atleast was going to run it straight from the header to a glasspack,but that sounds alot better.

Edited by eric_503

So far the biggest decision,do I braze or do I mig weld the patches in?

My body guru has always told me to weld in a patch and use brazing to seal up any small holes or preferations. Of course, he is an expert with MIG, stick and gas and that's why I have him do the heavy lifting.

Me, I just say thank goodness for grinders when I take off the helmet.:D

What I was thinking,use the mig to tac in the corners,braze the rest in. I guess its more of a me getting to say I brazed it in and kept it oldschool instead of using the mig for it all.

Good luck with your Z Eric. Mine sits in about the same shape as yours. I'm gonna MIG weld my patches in only because I'm most familiar with it. Please update the pics and keep us all updated as you go. I've learned so much from this site in only a few short months. Can't wait till she's done!!

Newest update,Picked up some aero rims. I thought I could get away with 13's as its all they made in 4 bolt.Im starting to think its a bad idea.

Also found an exhaust off a yamaha 5jj it was insanely huge(bigger then the glasspack I wanted) so I might have to put that on there,it might sound alright.

you need to prioritize things. Fix the holes in the car first then start wondering about other stuff. Your muffler sound isn't going to mean anything if your car is sitting there with its back broken because you didn't restore its factory integrity.:stupid:

No worries,its all everyone else has ragged on me about to. The car is solid tho. Patches I can put in easily in a few hours. The rest is all sand blasting it down and painting it.

Its more or less work to make the car look good that needs to be done.

• 3 weeks later...

Some good news. Just recently ended working at an autoshop/truck center. Day before I left there I walked into another place in town to ask about some body work,ended up leaving having to make up a resume.

The best part,first car I do is my 240z,seeing how that goes I get the job.

Alternates between good and bad,Had it out in the bright sun today and noticed some hairline cracks around the right back fender.I shouldnt of flexed it and picked at them....someone did a good bondo job. Now I think its in need of flares like I was originally going todo.