IGNORED

Need Advice - 240z Winshield Replacement - Paint Concern

moritz55

Hi - I would welcome some advice as I'm about to have my 1973 240z original windshield replaced. I have the rubber wetherstrip ordered from MSA, and windshield in stock ($175) at very good autobody & glass shop ready to go. The autobody shop also has the rubber weatherstrip for this windshield as well.

Here's where I need advice - my car was painted Green over the original Datsun Silver in 1996. The Green paint is still beautiful. The windshield was in the car was never replaced by the prior owner when painted Green.

My Questions and Advice Needed:

1) Do I have to worry about the new rubber weatehrstrip covering completely all the orginal Silver around the edges becuase as I hope the alignment of the rubber is good?

2) Since I have both MSA's weatherstrip and the one that comes with the windshield, I'd figure I'd have them use which ever one has a wider outer edge to maximize covering up the Stock Silver and sit top of the Green. You think there is any difference in weatherstrip edges?

3) I have Exact Match Green Paint and activator. Should I have the Body/Glass shop paint exposed Silver around the windshield once my orginal one is removed before installing the new windshield. Thoughts or suggestions here?

I have attached some photos, but it's a bit hard to see the heavy stone nicks and chips on the windshield that's accumulated over the years. I did polish it using Eastwood's polish - did a nice job on wiper blade marks - but the dings are too deep and there are even air voids between the 2 layers of glass from stone damage. So I really need to replace the windshield.

Any suggestions and advice is welcome. I have about 1week to decide on what to do while I wait for the MSA weatherstrip - so feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks, Mark.

post-14684-14150807129894_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150807130557_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150807131162_thumb.jpg

Edited by moritz55

Mark, since you have a week before the MSA weatherstrip arrives, it gives you plenty of time to have the old windshield removed, so you can assess the condition of the opening/flange. Your car looks to be in very good condition, but I know some of us have found rust-through hidden behind the weatherstrip. Even if it is found to be solid, with the windshield removed, it would be much easier to use your exact match paint to cover any silver paint you think might show and give it time to dry also.

Excellent input from both of you and you've helped me make my decision to have the flange painted. Since I must drive the car about 25mins to the Body/Glass shop - most lilkely when I schedule the work late next week -I'll have them remove the windsheild, treat the flange area even with POR and repaint the flange area with exact Green body match paint for insurance. This will also help prevent any rust opportunity since the window is out.

I'll try to get photos for reference of closeups before - during and after.

Many thanks ...

Edited by moritz55

Also, I strongly suspect that the MSA rubber and the rubber that the windshield came with will be the same. AS far as I know, the only aftermarket source for this is Precision, so both likely came from the same factory.

I don't think I would get the windshield guys to use POR products on your car. Having used it I can say it's quite a process to get done correctly. If you remove the old glass and you don't find any rust, and everything looks good I would not use POR at all. For POR to be used correctly, it has to bond to bare metal or rusty metal and the surface has to be prepped properly. If your car just has a silver edging you want corrected, it might look better if you just painted that edge area.

If you use the POR, you'll have to get them to remove all the paint on the area, prep it with the Metal-Ready, then use POR-15, then the proper Tie-Coat primer (or someone said I think you can topcaot while still tacky?), then you can use your exact match paint. If you do find rust under there, you should address it while you can. This might mean replacing some metal, or removing more paint than your silver border. If that happens is the paint you have an actual match in color?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Okay ... thanks Zak's Z on the POR complexity factor, really good input. The Glass Auto Installer is also an Auto Body shop at the same location. They'll do it all for me at $45/hr rate.

Anyway - I'll let you know when I get this scheduled.

Many thanks ..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I just wanted to update you all on my Windshield Replacement status. I'm currently scheduled for Monday 6/1 to drop the car off for 2days. Day 1 they'll pull the old windsheild and paint the Silver Color channel to match the current Green color of the car - let it dry. On day 2 install the new windshield & rubber.

I did get the MSA Windshield rubber and measured the outter lip which mates against the body of the car and it appears to be ~5/8" wide as compared to the stock one installed which looks to be ~1/2". My guess is the stock rubber with 36yrs of UV and aging has pulled back and shrunk a bit. So with some luck - even after the channel painting there will not be any visible difference since it will be concealed under the rubber lip.

Many thanks - I'll keep you all posted.

Edited by moritz55

Mark-

Make sure you read up on the "cord technique" and putting your windshield trim in. Has your body shop installed a windshield of this type in the past? If they are a bunch of young guys they could have a challange due to our style of window and weather seal. I had an oldtimer installer at a glass shop put mine in and they still broke the first one. You may want to make sure that they have insurance if yours gets broken or cracked and can get one overnighted at their expense if yours does crack (hopefully that will not be the case - the glass shop replaced mine at no charge to me)!!

Will do Travel'n Man.

The owner is very experienced and will do the glass installation himself. He was recommended to my by a fellow Zcar owner that actually worked at the Glass/Body shop that I have the installation lined up for. I'll assure the rope trick is used and the stainless metal trim is installed prior to placing the window into the channel.

Here are photo's before the removal and new windshield installed.

Many thanks again...

post-14684-14150807229637_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150807230323_thumb.jpg

post-14684-1415080723089_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150807231468_thumb.jpg