Sign in to follow this  
KID-K

Operation 240k

so what steps did you do from stripping to bare metal?

Mine is at the bare metal stage, i am planing to give it another rinse of POR metal ready (rust convertor/metal prep), then a non sanding epoxy primer coat (to seal the metal), then start work on minor filling

after bogging i had planned to do another epoxy prime coat to seal in any bog before doing a hi fill prime, after which i will hand off to a bodyshop to hopefully do the remaining 20% and colour

then again, i have no idea what i am doing (never done any bodywork), and piecing information together as i go :)

That's looking very awesome... well done... I'm not sure if I met you or your brother but I recognise the white sedan. Would love to see the black one soon!

That was me you met, GT taillights! I'm waiting to get all the front end from the powercoater, hanging to put it together...Thanks

so what steps did you do from stripping to bare metal?

Mine is at the bare metal stage, i am planing to give it another rinse of POR metal ready (rust convertor/metal prep), then a non sanding epoxy primer coat (to seal the metal), then start work on minor filling

after bogging i had planned to do another epoxy prime coat to seal in any bog before doing a hi fill prime, after which i will hand off to a bodyshop to hopefully do the remaining 20% and colour

then again, i have no idea what i am doing (never done any bodywork), and piecing information together as i go :)

HI......our body work was done before any primer was applied...We actually used the same 2 pak epoxy as a primer and as the high fill. 12 Litres of it....the reason for this was because, one it was epoxy...thinned down as an etch, then used as a high fill...secondly because it was black.....when it dried it was as hard as hell...good luck...body filler should go on bare metal!

HI......our body work was done before any primer was applied...We actually used the same 2 pak epoxy as a primer and as the high fill. 12 Litres of it....the reason for this was because, one it was epoxy...thinned down as an etch, then used as a high fill...secondly because it was black.....when it dried it was as hard as hell...good luck...body filler should go on bare metal!

Awesome paint job/color choice, I'm in awe of the depth of the black . . . . look into the abyss!

What psi and what tip did you spray the high fill with?

Some shots of the rear cv conversion before it gets bolted together. I used z31 turbo 5 bolt rear hubs, flanges, and half shafts, (the shafts themselves were fabricated for me by an engineer in bayswater, cost around $400)......The z31 rear flanges are much bigger than the standard 240k flanges, so the A frames also have to modified, so does the lower mounting plate for the shocker ( which now seems to fit better than standard)

post-16763-1415080801888_thumb.jpg

post-16763-14150808043729_thumb.jpg

ooohhh, I see. But I don't think I need CV's for the 280Z R200? what is the length of your half shafts? Could you also explain what the A frame and lower mounting plate for the shocker is?

Awesome paint job/color choice, I'm in awe of the depth of the black . . . . look into the abyss!

What psi and what tip did you spray the high fill with?

you need to run a 2.5mm tip and needle kit in your gun, Dave ( my brother) says he ran our gun at 40-45 psi. Again we used the same epoxy thinned down as an etch........

I COULD BE THE LAST PERSON IN THE WORLD TO HAVE A 240K PINCHED. Last Sunday night a very thoughtful person helped himself to my parts car....The whole thing!!!!!

post-16763-14150808058138_thumb.jpg

Edited by KID-K

No good mate,

Thats a shame if I knew you had it I would have asked for some parts as I am building a 4 door and desperately need the trims around the rear lights and a rear bar. Damn for you and damn for me!!

PS some serious rust in the old girl.

Do a quick ring around Menzies Metals and other Bulk Metal merchanants just in chase someone saw it there and traded it for a quick $300 worth of steel. You never know. Ring up some local car collectors and find out where they take the cars for recycling.

Good luck & be Quick !!!

Do a quick ring around Menzies Metals and other Bulk Metal merchanants just in chase someone saw it there and traded it for a quick $300 worth of steel. You never know. Ring up some local car collectors and find out where they take the cars for recycling.

Good luck & be Quick !!!

My new number plates "QWIK"

Did a qwik check of trims, I think I have: 2 rear trims, a boot trim ( could be short some clips ), and a rear bar! Let me know if your interested ( Location Melbourne)

that sux bout the car :<

also s13drifter i may have some 4door stuff but it may not be the best condition :<

i know ppl with a few spares so i may be able to swing something

Sometimes play is more important than work!

sometimes?

mate... play is ALWAYS more important than work... ;)

you need to run a 2.5mm tip and needle kit in your gun, Dave ( my brother) says he ran our gun at 40-45 psi. Again we used the same epoxy thinned down as an etch........

What brand and type of epoxy and hi fill did you use? can i also ask.. when you epoxied the car, how did the paint look immediately after spraying?

I just sprayed my bonnet and bootlid with Dupont 840R the week before last.. but i don't think i had the gun set properly.. i expected the epoxy to look shiny and almost like a plastic coat.. but instead it looks more like a primer out of a can (i think i had the fluid down too much and it dried before hitting the paint)

i am trying to work out if the epoxy should look like a wet pool when applying

The House of Kolor, and PPG epoxy primers both come out matt like normal primers, once dry. I have seen the shinny primers, they are gaining popularity as you can see dents easier but dont assume because its epoxy it will be shinny. When applying; primers are shinny then they dry matt, id say you where to dry on the coats if you couldnt achieve a wet look before the paint flashed and dried.

Cheers

Edited by s13drifter

Definately interested in the trims, I have a good mate in Dandenong that you can send the parts to, Trevor Davis auto refinishers, will get a street address we can work out something for sure as someone is down there every few weeks as Trev paints all our rods and cars.

no worries, just let me know.....do you have any more pics of the orange coupe, where, what, who

The House of Kolor, and PPG epoxy primers both come out matt like normal primers, once dry. I have seen the shinny primers, they are gaining popularity as you can see dents easier but dont assume because its epoxy it will be shinny. When applying; primers are shinny then they dry matt, id say you where to dry on the coats if you couldnt achieve a wet look before the paint flashed and dried.

Cheers

Checked on the weekend, and it actually seems to have come out quite well (maybe a little on the thin side, but certainly better than a normal primer finish).. i did a bit more (engine bay, doors and roof) over the weekend and keeping the gun a lot closer and putting down a lot more paint "seems" even better (few runs where the hose got snagged.. oops)

sorry for the hijack :)