IGNORED

How to determine your paint colour

TomoHawk

Other than looking at paint colour samples online and guessing at what colour your Z is (or was) , is there a way you can determine the original colour number if there is no decal on the radiator support?

thxZ

Nope. Nissan has no records, and there was no other formal indication on the car other than the decal.

That said, for most years there's not too many color choices that can be confused for each other, so if you can find some original paint on the car somewhere it should be easy to figure out.

thanks Arne,

That's where you can get into problems; when you try to match a paint sample to an area on the car. I've talked to several painters who GUARANTEE that they can match the colour, but all they really do is use an electronic colour scanner to scan your paint, and then match it to the colour of some other car! :eek:

I actually tried to get some paint by giving a paint store my colour code, and,again, they told me that they just scan the car and "match" the paint (again, to some late-model colour!) After insisting that they mix up some paint according to the Datsun colour code, I was told that they don't do it that way, and it wouldn't be a proper match.

The paint was for the engine bay, and is 'probably' #303 (green metallic.)

Tom, on your '78, the paint under the wood false floor in the cargo area will be the closest to the original color. Chances are good that it has been covered up for the past 30 years and still looks like it did the day the car rolled down the line.

That said, I don't think the exterior of your car is the original color. Nissan never made a teal Z. That color looks to be from the mid to late eighties when it was a popular OEM color. Are you looking to match the current, or the original color?

Take a quality picture of the cargo floor paint and post it. Someone will be able to tell you what the code is.

That's where you can get into problems; when you try to match a paint sample to an area on the car. I've talked to several painters who GUARANTEE that they can match the colour, but all they really do is use an electronic colour scanner to scan your paint, and then match it to the colour of some other car! :eek:
If you don't think that's the correct method, it's your right to believe that. But that method has worked well for everyone else in recent years, including myself. I guess you'll just have to leave it alone and not paint it then. Enjoy!

Jeff,

the rear area is red. OTOH, the PO told me that the exterior is a 1993 Corvette clour called "Teal Green" which, the corvette parts dept. tells me, doesn't exist. I think it's more likely the guy picked that colour from a sheet, and the painter threw together whatever he had that comes close.