IGNORED

what should I use to clean the engine bay?

Tim 76' 280Z

Im just wanting to clean the walls and the motor to make things look cleaner. I dont want to pressure wash anything! Just does not seem right with this kind of car. I am also going to remove the surface rust from the battery tray then spray some undercoating down under the tray. Whats your thoughts...

Simple Green is great. Use a sponge and then clear water to wash it off. Can be done with a bucket of water or hose with no spray attachment.

Biodegradable Orange cleaner for stubborn grease

Wax with a cleaning component after simple green

Suggest you sand down rust and corrosion on the battery tray. Paint with POR-15 and then color match to engine compartment versus covering it with undercoating. If you just put undercoating over untreated metal it will trap moisture and accelerate future rust formation. Undercoating doesn't stop rust once it's started.

Edited by bobc

Good luck! You'll need some scrub brushes with handles ( like a vegetable brush) and maybe some plastic scouring pads. I got some cheap citrus cleaner at the dollar store that worked well. I have even tried some foaming wheel cleaner with good results (cleans paint & leaves it shiny-looking.)

Just don't do it on a nice driveway! Find a gravel area or go to the self-wash place.

Spray wax or ArmourAll is nice to use after it's clean.

I have hand cleaned the engine compartment on both my Z's. It is time consuming, but it does let you spot areas/items that need attention (as mentioned above). Once done it is pretty much a wipe down when doing oil/filter changes to keep it looking good, especially if you apply a wax to it.

Do not use lacquer thinner on your 33 yr old paint please. It will damage it. That is what I use to clean my paint gun and remove all paint residue not to be used for cleaning your engine bay.

Edited by five&dime

Do not use lacquer thinner on your 33 yr old paint please. It will damage it. That is what I use to clean my paint gun and remove all paint residue not to be used for cleaning your engine bay.

Yeah I Know. I use Lacquer thinner here at work and I know that it will destroy the paint and make it a much larger mess then it is now.