IGNORED

280 vs 240 louvers

Ken B.

hi, can anyone tell me if a set of louvers bought for a 280Z will fit a 240Z?

also I'm trying to locate the type of rear window louvers that have the more curved edges not the angular ones, is there a way to differentiate? I know some are ABS and some aluminum but I'm not sure that speaks to the shape of the louver or not?

Thanks.

Yes, they will fit. The first pic shows the type that fit over the window trim. They are bigger than the on-glass louvers and don't obstruct the view. The downside is that you have to drill holes in the hatch for the hinges and latches. I had them on a car many years ago and liked them for keeping the car cool, but they will rattle a bit. Given the choice, I'd go with the bigger style as long as you don't mind a bunch of holes in your hatch.

Yes, they will fit. The first pic shows the type that fit over the window trim. They are bigger than the on-glass louvers and don't obstruct the view. The downside is that you have to drill holes in the hatch for the hinges and latches. I had them on a car many years ago and liked them for keeping the car cool, but they will rattle a bit. Given the choice, I'd go with the bigger style as long as you don't mind a bunch of holes in your hatch.

Thanks Jeff, I didn't realize they were bigger, just a different design. I really dont care for the sharp angular ones but would like the curved ones - any idea on availablity? I saw some on MSA and called, the guy that answered didn't seem very sure of which type they would ship.

I think you can still buy the on-glass ones, but I don't believe the larger bolt-on louvers have been available for years. They can't be too tough to find used. I have at least one and maybe two of the larger style, but they are stored at my dad's house in another state. I haven't decided yet if I will install them. I doubt I will since I don't want to drill a bunch of holes in a perfect hatch panel.

I think you can still buy the on-glass ones, but I don't believe the larger bolt-on louvers have been available for years. They can't be too tough to find used. I have at least one and maybe two of the larger style, but they are stored at my dad's house in another state. I haven't decided yet if I will install them. I doubt I will since I don't want to drill a bunch of holes in a perfect hatch panel.

drilling holes in the hatch doesn't sound great to me either - are you pretty certain that's the way I'd have to go for these curved edge ones? :ermm:

Ken, I have the one you are asking about on my car. I have have them on for over 25 years. The only way to attach them is to drill the holes.

Thanks Michael, looks like I'll be drilling then because those are the ones I want - just need to find a good set for the 71.

I just installed a set I purchased that DO NOT require you to drill into the hatch. I will try to post a couple of pictures this evening. The louvers went on easily and the way it mount was excellent. Somewhere down the road if I want I can take the off for a while and then put them back on and the back deck will remain without holes.

I would really think twice before I got a drill and drilled into my deck hatch!

No matter what kind of louvers you have, there will always be evidence that they had been on the car when you remove them. I have the 'Shadow' louvers that fit on mounts that slide under the molding/weahterstrip and adhere to the glass. Possibly the least destructive mounting system that was available but you can still tell that they were there if you remove them.

I just installed a set I purchased that DO NOT require you to drill into the hatch. I will try to post a couple of pictures this evening. The louvers went on easily and the way it mount was excellent. Somewhere down the road if I want I can take the off for a while and then put them back on and the back deck will remain without holes.

I would really think twice before I got a drill and drilled into my deck hatch!

Are they the ones with curved edges by any chance? Looking forward to the photos!