IGNORED

STUCK Strut Shock absorber INSERT

PATZ

Hi EVERYONE!

As the title says my strut INSERT is stuck(rusted?) in the strut housing. I`m putting in KYB GR-2`s. Any tips on how to remove them? Last night i put in some wd-40 in the strut housing. Otherwise i`m thinking of putting the shock absorber insert shaft in a vice and maybe using a hammer on the hub or the lower portion of the strut housing, would this be a good idea? I DONT have access to any part of the strut assembly locally should i accidentally break anything! Any advice? THANKS! patrick

I got mine out using a slide hammer of sorts as Arne sugested. Worked like a charm. Heating the outer tube slightly might help as well but don't get carried away. Too much heat transfer to the insert will make it even harder to get out. And don't forget that the insert is filled with oil and may be under pressure depending on the type of insert. Don't forget to wear your goggles. :)

Penetrating oil and gravity:

In many cases - I've simply put a little penetrating oil down the strut tube - then hung the Shock Rod in a vise, and let the strut tube hang below over night - about six inches off the floor. By the next morning they have usually broken themselves loose. It's usually not just "rust", so much as a vacuum that sets itself up below the shock valves, or the bottom of the old cartridge and the bottom of the strut tube.

If that doesn't do the trick - like Enigma and Arne said - get the slide hammer out... it is usually not a major problem. Note I said "usually" In very few cases, I've had to put a little heat on the lower part of the shock tubes.

Good luck,

Carl B.

Put the strut housing in a big vice and attach a slide
Not sure what happened to the rest of my post last night?? It should have read something like this:

Put the strut housing in a big vice and attach a slide hammer to the end of the strut shaft. Don't clamp the tube of the housing as that may pinch tighter on the insert. Clamp at the bottom where the housing bolts to the steering knuckle. Doing it this way gives the same effect as your method, but avoids damage to the housing from the hammer.

Carl's method often works as well, as long as the problem is not caused from rust inside the tube.

THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH for ALL your replies! Mine looks likely rusted and will require more than penetrating oil. ARNE- Thanks for reposting by the way! I can now proceed with more confidence. :) Patrick