IGNORED

Clutch help 4 to 5 tranny swap

Papa Deuce

I bought a 280z, my first one......Someone has converted it to a 5 speed. The clutch has no adjustment left out, and it engages at about 2 inches from the floor.......so the tranny shifts hard (hard to go in gear) and clanks a lot.......Could there be wron components, like the clutch fork or the TOB? The pushrod on the master is at the last thread, the slave cylinder pushrod is hanging way out just to touch the clutch fork......I am at a loss, this thing needs to be tightened up......Help?

It is quite possible that when the swap occurred, they have a mis-matched throwout bearing collar and pressure plate. You may have to pull the transmission to figure out what they put in there so you can correct it.

Actually, the transmission doesn't matter. Different years of cars used different height pressure plates and had throwout bearing collars to suit whichever pressure plate was used. The drive plate and T-O bearing itself were all the same regardless of the other parts.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to verify whether this might be your problem without dropping the transmission and measuring parts. But your description of the problem certainly sounds like this is a likely possibility. Especially how the PO used every possible thread on the pushrod and such to try to get enough travel. Sounds like you have both a short collar and a short pressure plate.

Here's a page that helps describe the issue with pictures:

http://zparts.com/zptech/articles/trans_swap%20parts/4tobear_specs1.html

If you haven't already, it'd be worth rechecking all the adjustments again just to be certain, but it sounds like you've already done that. On a later car ('72 and newer) the only adjustments are the pedal height and the free play (pushrod length).

I'll check the height in the morning. I know the pedal is about an inch or so off towards the floor from the proper measurement but I think it will be worth it to take it apart to inspect it all. I'll use this thread to keep track.

The clutch slipped the other day, but I dumped the hell out of the it trying to show off......I went to check the freeplay adjustment today, i cant get to the thing to sdjust it, but I did take the pedal off of the master cyl PR, and the rod is out as far as it will go, so then the freeplay cant be adjusted any farther foward. I have to go to Reno for a few days to tattoo, but when I get back (mon) I am going to take the time to drop the tranny and check it all out.