IGNORED

I need to strip the paint

refman1970

When you are ready to strip it, I prefer aircraft stripper. Spray on, let sit for 30 minutes and scrape off like butter with a plastic putty knife. All the way to metal. Lay down plastic under the area b/c it makes a mess. Don't get it on you either b/c it burns like hell. Afterwards I use a D/A sander and scuff the metal up with 180-220. If the metal is really bad I work my way from 80 gritt but it takes forever.

If you can, do one panel on a time since the car is in your driveway. Do the repairs and then prime the panel in etching primer and/or with epoxy primer. After all the panels are done, sand the car down and spray another coat or two of epoxy primer and then your ready for paint. Of course all this would depend on your DIY skills. The most important part of a paintjob is prepping IMO. You must be diligent with sanding and masking prior to final spray. When you think the car has been sanded enough for final coat it means you still need to spend another 4-6 hours minimum sanding :)

If you don't have much experience with cars, you may do what many in your position do and try doing too much work too fast. The cars usually end up as Yard ornaments. Patience is key with painting.

I have been doing paint as a hobby for about 5-6 years but am not an expert. I have been talking with a few local pro's for years and have used their advice to hone my skills. There are others on here that do paint as a career I believe and will most likely chime in.

Please tell us a bit more about your experience with cars and your budget. It would also be great if you let us know what kind of tools you have access to. That will help members give you the best advice for your skills, budget, etc.

Edited by five&dime

Why do you need to strip the paint? You are skipping one of the best ways to find all the door dings and imperfections. I would fix the rusty areas first and then use a DA sander to sand off the paint slowly moving across the panels. Sand the whole panel evenly to find all the low areas. Fix these and spray the primer and paint back on the panels. The car in these pictures is one I just finished. I did not use stripper on it. Sanded the whole car.

Edited by a7dz

I have been tinkering with cars for over 10 years and can do lots of repairs but do not feel confident on big thing like rebuilding transmissions or engines. I have yet to replace fenders or done major body repair such as welding in pieces. I just have hand tools and a good jack

I prefer replacing rusted panels with new, but it depends on budget. Aircraft stripper works great but it is a mess. it's also hard to get spots like cowl vents good. I had my 260 soda blasted,came out great. but I don't think the neibors or your wife would approve in the drive way::finger:

I found a local person that has a mobile soda blasting business that I found on Craig's list It might be worth getting his price. Also trying to get a buddy that has a shop behind his house to let me use it to strip and paint. Wish me luck

• 2 months later...

Do not let the aircraft stripper get into the sewers or gutters it is very toxic to birds etc...If you use it put down kraft paper etc around the area your working and use a spray bottle with water to rise off the area your stripping....Not a garden hose!!! After you are done put every thing into a plastic bag and then add another bag and waste it out....If you get it on your body use the spray bottle of water to rinse it off...Wear goggles etc.....READ the MSDS of the HAZMAT you are using......

• 2 weeks later...

Five & Dine got it right. Chemical stripping is hazardous, go for Soda Blasting, it will not damage the metal and the whole car can easily be done in one day. Some shops are mobile, but most places have an outdoor facility to blast at.