Dupli-color interior paint = TERRIBLE! - Page 2 - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Dupli-color interior paint = TERRIBLE!

Featured Replies

I did mine 10 years ago with Duplicolor and it's still shiny. Preperation is the key though I don't know about primer, I didn't use any.

I didn't use any primer either.

I've also worked with a local guy recently that restores interiors on Rolls Royces, and all we did before dying the leather was to clean it- with a special solvent/cleaner. Then the dye was sprayed directly on. He told me that painting/dying vinyl or plastic parts was the same.

I gotta agree that you can't clean the part enough before painting. Any residue from anything will produce inferior results, And the newer sprays are the toughest to remove completely, which is why they work so well.

Tim-

Can you elaborate on why you suggested using primer? What kind of primer?

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

I cleaned my panels throughly with laquer thinner first. When the white cotton T-shirt got discolored I got another clean one.

Bonzi Lon

I would be careful when cleaning with laquer thinner. It may gum up old vinyl or plastic. Fast evap de-greaser or rubbing alchohol would be better to remove old residues.

Don't use rubbing alcohol. It may have water or other chemicals in it, and you'd rather use something with no residue.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

The laquer thinner worked better than anything else I tried. All of the plastic and vinyl had 26 year old overspray primer every where. Just took lots of time cleaning small areas at a time and not getting it too wet and changing cloths often. Just make sure there is no way for combustion and plenty of ventliation so you won't get as HIGH as I did the first half hour.

Bonzi Lon

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.