IGNORED

Still smokin

Sailor Bob

More - Just put another 70 miles on it with the detergent oil.... still smokin. S--T !!

Thought I had it licked - wishfull thinking. Seemed better for a short while - nice clean oil??

Drove it to the local machine shop to discuss causes, options and $. Definately decision time - a rebuild is not cheap and if I rebuild should I even bother with this engine? Maybe time to look around for an l28 - the car will never be original anyway. Trouble is finding one down here - still a matter of $$.

Anyway haven't given up on her yet, but I am starting to look around at options.

A last entry in this thread: I think I have a handle on it now - I believe through the several different cleansing attempts I may have achieved the goal I was originally seeking. The car does not seem to be emitting smoke when accelerating anymore.

FYI - I used ATF, diesel detergent oil and lastly Wynn's (tune up in a can - advertises good for freeing stuck valves and rings) Separately in sequence with oil changing. Bought some seafoam but it seems now that it will not be required.

The process took over three hundred painfully embarassing miles (done mostly outside of town - to avoid stares and potentially being hauled over) to get to the point that I believe the rings are freed and a solution may now be a set of valve stem seals. I say that because the heavy smoke is now all in deceleration, initial start up and the very beginning of acceleration (which I believe is just blowing out the smoke remaining in the exhaust pipe).

There are a dozen threads on the matter that I have read over the past two weeks, one that gave me confidence was on "how to do a compression test" - In that it was pointed out the importance of having the throttle flaps opened to avoid drawing in air at less than atmophere. I did the rest correct but failed to open the throttle plates and still got 165 lbs per cylinder - factoring the testing error in, the compression is likely as good as new. This leaves me believing that the lower engine is in good order.

I have the seals ordered - another winter job.

Edited by Sailor Bob

I just finished doing my valve stem seals, it took me probably about 5 hours all together, mainly because it was my first time doing it. The old seals I removed where super hard, like hard plastic. I defiantly could feel the valves become easier to move after I replaced the seals. I used this link to help me on the seals http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/seals.html. I also bought a valve spring compressor instead of making my own or renting one. The cheapest one I could find was a KD 3087 I got it on ebay for $14 and it worked great. The first one takes the longest, but after that you will get a good idea how it should go.

Thanks for the tips Brad. I do the same - each time I take on a new job, I buy the associated tools, nothing pricey but enough that I don't have to rent.

Are you satisfied with the results?

I guess that wasn't the last entry:nervous:

Edited by Sailor Bob

Im as satisfied as I can be since I have not started the car back up since I finished it, which was yesterday. But I have a feeling that it will make a large improvement. My valves seemed to be sticking to the old seals, so im pretty sure there will be a performance increase as well, even if it is small.

Thanks for the tips Brad. I do the same - each time I take on a new job, I buy the associated tools, nothing pricey but enough that I don't have to rent.

Are you satisfied with the results?

I guess that wasn't the last entry:nervous:

Harbor Freight sells a valve spring compressor for under $10. I have one and have used it several times with no problems. Edited by sblake01

• 7 months later...

Still Smokin - S--t!

Did the valve seals on both cars. A guy in New Brunswick sent me his spring compressor in the mail - hard to believe how Z decent people can be - excellent.

As 74240zman said the seals were like hard plastic - I was surprised - I though they were going to be deteriorated according to some peoples experinces, but they looked brand new.

Unfortunately the smoker still smokes - cheap options are exhausted :) Guess the engine will come out. Now that it is settled - I am thinking whether to go to a different engine. If I can find a good l28 I will probably go for the change and just store the l24. Once again it is one of those times when it would be nice to be on the mainland to get access to parts - very little here. I have however located a 81 (ex) turbo with all the top missing - I have been talking to the owner he is not quite ready to sell. Even if I do get it, it will need to be overhauled.

Thanks for the info Stephen and Happy B/Day.