IGNORED

First Pictures of Final Color

Aguyandaredhead

Well it was worth the hard work and wait. Here she is in her final color. I will try and grab a few shots of her out in the sun after she finishes baking in the booth.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/Aguyandaredhead/100_2505.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/Aguyandaredhead/100_2503.jpg

I guess it is time to start putting all the goodies back on.

I am so stoked to start putting it back together,

Jeff

post-5817-14150804601342_thumb.jpg

post-5817-14150804601933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aguyandaredhead

Nice work, Jeff! Believe me it's exciting to see it go back together... I like the color you chose. Excellent job!

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. It's always fun to see someone take a car from this stage all the way through to completion. I did the same thing with my car and it's neat to go back and look at the progress you've made.

Anyone have an Idea on who to send the rear bumper to to have the chrome removed?
Are you planning to have the rear bumper painted to match? If so (and I think that'd look great on that car) might be cleaner to just buy a one-piece fiberglass replacement from MSA. Easy to paint, no chrome to strip, and no seams or bolts holding the ends on. Lighter, too.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA01/50-1751

Yes that is the plan, However I would like to have (even if very minimal) some attempt at a real metal bumper. I will be shaving all the holes as well as making it one piece and fitting it much closer to the body with even tolarances all the way across. I thought about that MSA one but I would prefer to TIG the steel one up and add metal where needed. I went the fiberglass route on the front and I did not like the way the MSA Type 2-3 (I can't remember which one I started with) had such a wide front bumper detail so I cut about 2" out of the center of the bumper detail and glassed it back together. Then after doing that I had to push the ends back out in the bottom part since it had been moved up. I can work with glass but prefer steel.

Do you have any close-up photos of the fiberglass one installed? How close does it fit to the body?

Jeff

Yes that is the plan, However I would like to have (even if very minimal) some attempt at a real metal bumper
For impact protection? Hope not, because there isn't any. In fact, if you were to take a light bump with both metal and glass, I'd bet that there'd be less damage to the bodyshell with the glass.

The stock 240Z bumpers are worthless as bumpers. The glass will be every bit as good.

Jeff,

She is absolutly gorgeous. I think you made the perfect choice. Have fun putting her back together. I have big changes for my car in the near future. Let's just say I am going to "pimp her out". LOL I have always loved grays. Mine is a bit darker and the car I sold was silver.

Have Fun

Stacey

Hoss, I can't take credit for making that hood. I have done all the work on the car with the exception of the hood. The guy who made it for me can provide you with one as well, he has made a mold and is selling them. They are around 500.00 and he is quick to get it out. His name is James and his email is 280zone@cox.net tell him Jeff in Oklahoma sent you and maybe he will work with you a little on the price. The Color is a Ford GT40 color called Tungsten and the paint code is T8.

Arne, I am not thinking in the event of an accident. More like if someone were to pull too close to it while parking I really just want it to protect the paint/body. The glass would crack or shatter and I would end up replacing it anyway. At least the steel I can just beat back into shape and then repaint. But I agree the 240 bumpers are worthless.

GirlyGirlZ, Thank you for the Kudos. I feel it turned out as planned after we pulled it out of the booth. I also have been a fan of Gray/Charcoal's, My 06 Dodge Hemi Ram is Mineral Gray which is close to this but not the same. My boat has a Platinum in the color scheme as well, so I guess you could say I am a fan too.

Jeff

A few shots that are outside, however it was cloudy. Oh and there is one here of under the hood with just a single coat of base and no clear that I took early on. Just gives a good look at what under the hood looks like. There is a tiny bit of Orange peel that is in the final layer of clear that is being wet sanded off (always the plan) before buffing.

Enjoy.

Jeff

post-5817-14150804653193_thumb.jpg

post-5817-14150804653661_thumb.jpg

post-5817-14150804653913_thumb.jpg

post-5817-14150804654254_thumb.jpg

post-5817-14150804654596_thumb.jpg