IGNORED

240z pieces into 260z

mike260z

Mike260z,

I also have a 74 260z early build date 9-73, the bumpers from a 240 are not a direct bolt on but can be done, depending on the year of the 240 I am not sure of the seat belts, SU's no problem and the air box with them.

Suggestion, keep your N36 intake and get your SUs from Z Thearpy. All the things you need also can be found on ebay or through other members and sources depending how much you wish to spend. I restored my car over the past two years, if I can help let me know.

Mike

I believe the bumpers are different (240's are smaller), but I think could work if you get the mounts also. The SU's are different in 260 (I think they were originally all flat tops in the 260's) so I don't think any of the SU stuff will work either. Unless the 240 in the boneyard is a 73, then it may also have flat top SU's (mine did when I bought it). Unless someone did the round top upgrade to your 260; which I did, and boy am I glad I did.

The seat belts would work, I think.

But wait for a few more guys to chime in, this is my first Z, so there are lots of guys on here who know better than I.

Willing to be corrected on this but:

1) Carbs: 70-72 will have round tops...take intake with it and should bolt right on and be a performance improvement (but will likely need rebuild as has been sitting in boneyard). 73 may have flat tops like the 260Z. You will not want to go to the effort of rebuilding flat tops. Not worth it. Find some round tops. This is a common upgrade.

2) Seat belts: Early 240's (70-71) did not have retractable seat belts. Don't think they'll work in a 260.

3) Bumpers: no clue. Reference others.

Edited by bigoak

the only way is if the 240z in the boneyard is a 73 ?

If the Z in the junkyard was a 73, it may have flat tops carbs, which I assumed the 260's had originally. If the 240 in the junkyard is a 70 - 72, it would have round tops. Thats what I was alluding to.

i found a 240z in a yunkyard with these pieces and i was wondering if i can use them on my 260z?

If the 240 has round top SUs then take those and the linkage your old linkage will not work with the round top carbs, also take the spacer the carbs bolt to. Take the air cleaner also. If the Z has flat top carbs , the only thing that is usable is the intake manifold and you already have one. Flat tops are not recommended at all. Seat belts, 70-71 don't have retractable seat belts '73 have retractable lap but not shoulder straps. '74s have both that retract. I have a '73 with round tops and I used the shoulder re-tractor from a '75. I recommend that you buy the club parts CD so when you go to the dealer with the part numbers , they will really appreciate it, and more likely will take the time to find what you need. Welcome to the group and all the best. Gary Even if you don't use the other round tops they are good for a core if you by some from ZTherapy.

Edited by beandip

• 2 weeks later...

got it... the Z in the yunkyard its a 72, so i'll take the round top SUs and the air cleaner box, but can you put a picture of the "linkage" and "the spacer the carb bolt to" ? i dont know what are those.

i'll leave the seatbelts... and the bumpers will fit on my 74 260z ?