IGNORED

Where to buy Tail-Light Panels???

mikewags

The panels surrounding the tail-lights are brittle and have a few cracks. They are also very faded. I'd like to get new ones, is this possible? I can probably repair my current ones, but considering its just plastic---i'd rather just buy some new ones...

WHERE can i get em?

The panels are the dark-grey plastic part, of this photo.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/18rg/Car%20parts/IMG_8069-1.jpg

Thanks!

No offense meant to you in particular, Mike, but why don't people ever think to check with their Nissan dealers for these types of things? That's the only place you're likely to find new parts of this type. In this case, all three pieces seem to be available new from Nissan.

79901-N3400 - Center panel, list price $59.90, frequently discounted to around $50.

79902-N3400 - RH panel, list price $211.82, frequently discounted to around $165.

79903-N3400 - LH panel, list price $211.82, frequently discounted to around $165.

Also worth looking at - 79900-N3400, a set of all three pieces, but marked as possibly superseded in the parts list. If you can find the bundled set, it shows a list price of $169.37. That low price alone makes me think the 3-piece set is NLA.

post-8596-14150803815561_thumb.png

No offense meant to you in particular, Mike, but why don't people ever think to check with their Nissan dealers for these types of things? That's the only place you're likely to find new parts of this type. In this case, all three pieces seem to be available new from Nissan.

Well, starters --- dealers tend to be overly expensive for "new" parts. I know the car is over 30 years old, but based on those prices for these "plastic pieces" --- that really seems like highway robbery.

Now, im not trying to sound cheap; but thats just what they are...thin pieces of plastic...and the fact that each one is around 165 dollars is just ridiculous. I would rather repair my own (glue/paint), or find a reseller out there that is cheaper. I wouldn't mind spending about 80 dollars total for both, but around 170 total is just too much for me to consider.

Thank you for the information though, I really appreciate it!

PS - If anyone knows of any online shops or even ebay listings, let me know!

Mike, That's not really not that much to pay for an NOS part. You could always restore what you have. Restoring these cars does cost $ and time if you want it done right. Don't expect to get your $ back anytime in the near future. It's all about the joy of owning and driving a great little sports car.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

My '70 has metal rear fascia surrounding the tail lights. What is the best method for removal of these pieces without significant risk of bending them or breaking any of the attachment pieces/clips? The FSM is silent on this question, and the search function doesn't give me the complete story.

Thanks for your help!

Frank

Also there is a pair of "L" angle grasping clips on the lower edge.

Be careful not to break those as they are, AFAIK, unobtanium.

After removing the rivets from the top edge (push the rivet pin through the rivet, then pull up on the body of the rivet), first remove the center piece which does NOT have the clip, then from the center out, you should be able to pull the tail-light surrounds off the car.

FWIW

E

After removing the rivets from the top edge (push the rivet pin through the rivet, then pull up on the body of the rivet), first remove the center piece which does NOT have the clip, then from the center out, you should be able to pull the tail-light surrounds off the car.

Actually, the center panel sits UNDER the two side panels, so you cannot remove it until you remove the two sides. Also you have to remove the license plate light (two screws on top of the hatch ledge) and two more plastic rivets that hold the lower part of the center panel in before removing the center panel.

-Mike

My bad, I re-wrote what I had written first and .....

But the note about the "L" clips still applies. Those clips are what hold the bottom edge of the finishers to the body. If they're broken, lost their "teeth" (and that's how they grip), or the tab holding them to the body is gone, you'll have loose finishers at the bottom edge.

FWIW

E