IGNORED

1971 Rear Sway Bar

rtaylor

I am picking this rear sway bar set up on Monday. All it needs are the end links which I think I can get from MS. With this kit I will not need to weld any tabs or drill holes in the floor to install it. Can anybody confirm that this was the BRE manufactured kit? Looking forward to the new anti-roll feeling that should come with the install. It doesn't look like the install should be too difficult. Thanks

post-9967-14150803800683_thumb.jpg

Question for the original poster: what size is your front bar? Is it the original stock one? I ask because the bar in the picture looks reasonably beefy and I'll guess it's at least 5/8" which was the size of the stock front bar IIRC. My point is that you're going to significantly change the roll stiffness of the rear. It might be a good idea to take it out to some empty space like a parking lot on a sunday morning and try a few quick side to side transitions while accelerating and also while braking just to be sure that you haven't made the rear end excessively loose. I don't think you will, but it would be a good idea to find out all by yourself in a safe place instead of out on the road in a panic situation.

Also, if yours is a daily driver, you should try it out in the rain (less grip) to make sure nothing evil is going on. :eek: Mine is no longer fun nor safe in the rain with the changes I've made. But then again, it's just a fun weekend car now so I just don't drive it when it's wet.

Hi Daniel. My front sway bar is stock. That's great advice. I need to see how it will behave. The car is not a daily driver (29,383 miles on it now) but the original roll was noticeable when I went tearing around cloverleaf onramps. That's about the extent of my wild and crazy driving style. My car never sees the rain. I have heard what water can do to these cars...

In fact, this will be the first non original dealer installed item on the car.

So tell me all . did my 02 -71 come with a sway bar stock or was it a later stock addition . try as i might i can't make a rear sway bar appear on my z , although I can see where the end links would fit . When is the question then , '' when did the factory install rear sway bars as a factory oem . Next biggy , my car handled very tight without the rear bar and now that I will be installing tokikos springs and shocks , should I be considering a sway bar kit to complete the package or stay to stock . Input is valued greatly .

Thanx

And to all the half dimes and 240s that I see in my hood , thanxz for keeping me motivated in my restore

Chris

74 was the first year that the factory installed a rear sway bar in the US. But some 73s had the brackets (mine built in 2/73 had them). Before that it was a front bar only, 5/8" IIRC.

For me, I did the bars before springs and struts and they made a huge difference. Some people like a softer ride, and for them bigger bars and softer springs/struts is an option. I'd suggest you first do the springs/struts since it sounds like you've already decided to do that. You can then see if you feel you want to increase your roll stiffness further via adding/upgrading bars.

Keep in mind that every improvement for handling will bring some tradeoff. I have the Ilumina adjustable struts and on their softest setting I'd say they are similar to the tokico blues. But on their stiffer settings (they go 1-5), the car gets very bouncy and almost nervous. It's really not fun at all to drive on the street like that, but on the track the way they limit body movement further is appreciated, especially on bumpy high speed sweepers. My point is that there's no one setup that will be best for all conditions. You'll have to decide how much you want to trade off improving the handling vs. degrading the ride.