Dynamat. How much is enough? - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Dynamat. How much is enough?

Featured Replies

I'm going to lay dynamat down in the passenger area of the car, and maybe the cargo area as well. I want to get this done before my carpet arrives, but I need to order the stuff.

How much should be enough? Has anyone sound insulated their car lately? Any feedback would be great, so I don't purchase too much/not enough.

Thanks!

I did my 510 just a few weeks ago. Dynamat rocks!!!! One bulk pack should do the whole floor and firewall. You can get the best deal on eBay. Some guy sells bulk packs shipped for $120. That is the best price you will ever see I assure you. Two will do the whole entire car for sure including doors and the roof.

Just buy real dynamat not the imitation garbage.

I wouldn't consider anything but dynamat. I have so many friends that have gone the cheap route. I assure you nothing compares to dynamat. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. More often than not IMO.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I ended up going with 30 square feet of the EDEAD stuff. It was a good thickness, and a decent price ($1.60 per sq ft.)

I just couldn't justify spending 200+ on dynamat for something like sound insulation.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I did my "72" winter before last. I put it everywhere, inside the floor, tunnel, rear cargo spare tire, wheel humps and inside the rear quarter panels behind/above the tires, and even the door panels and some leftover pieces inside the doors. I used 2 1/2 rolls. If I remember the rolls were 1 foot wide and 50 feet long. I used "B-Quiet" similar test results at about 5/8 to 2/3 the cost. Prices may have changed. I am very happy with the results. Trans tunnel is cooler and doors shut with authority without the tin can sound. JL audio stero sounds great also. I also used another product called V-comp on the firewall to replace the jute pad and another companys product called LyTherm Max from "cool & quiet" on the tunnel and as a carpet pad all over the floor and grocery area in the back. I also applied thier product called Zero Clearance to the underside of the car in the trans tunnel. When I was a younger lad in Texas I had a 73 z and the trans tunnel always got hot to the point of heating the cabin beyond tolerable levels. Only relief was the AC which I removed for more go power, or excessive speeds on the highway with the windows down. So I did everything I could to eliminate that issue. After the Z show in April and the 14 hour drive home across the desert... I can say it was worth the effort. No heat on the trans tunnel. Cabin stayed comfortable even without AC. Check out B-Quiet, and Cool and Quiet web sites.

ps. there was a write up on B-Quiet in sport Z a few years ago. I think they did that "70" with it.

neal

I recently used "fatmat" on my son's 240z, my magnum, and my 68 Fury with great results....Very inexpensive with the thermal foil on it and very plyable. When it comes to the deadning I was looking to do just that. Deaden the vibrations and make it so the sound does not resonate through the car. In the past I had used "Dynamat" when that was the only thing out there. It was and still is expensive. I just could not justify spending twice as much for it. Back in the day there was a roofing underlayment called "bichathayne" (SP) that actually did the same thing...It sticks and was like tar paper. That stuff was real cheap. I like the "fatmat" and will use it again. Just my opinion on that.

The only thing you have to avoid is anything made with an asphalt product- like the bituthene. It's meant for roofs only. Heat will break it down, then it will slump and stink up the whole car. Almost every product mentioned in this thread works fine- and I did tons of research. The biggest difference seems to be price on the standard mat products.

Just no asphalt- like the original DynaMat. I don't think they even sell the old stuff anymore, as the most common ingredients today seems to be neoprene, vinyl or butyl rubber- layered with other materials like thin foiled aluminum or lead sheeting. They are superior to anything from years ago.

Great to know Poindexter....did not know that stuff breaks down. Thanks for the info!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.