IGNORED

Random Screeching Grind at Ignition

Every once in a while when I go to start my car, I get a grinding high pitched screeching sound, that will stop when I stop turning the ignition. It sounds like the flywheel grinding or something.

It isn't often although kind of random.

I suspect this is either, the starter; or the flywheel. I know the flywheel's don't go bad easily; although I know if a few of the teeth get worn down or knocked off this can cause it. I had a lincoln a few years back that did this, I think it went away when I changed the starter.

The starter in my car looks relatively new though, so I'm not exactly sure if thats it.

Any ideas guys? Anyone else ever have this issue?

Sounds like a solenoid not engagimg properly. The solenoid kicks in a small gear that engages the flywheel, then backs out when the key is released and the engine is running. It's no big deal unless it continues. A new starter is 49.95 plus p&h from Black Dragon.

Yep thats caused by the starter not engaging the flywheel ring gear correctly.

Causes: a solenoid problem as mentioned by Diseazd,

or by a worn starter gear or ring gear.

Due to the compression when turning off the engine it will usually stop in one of six positions. If the ring gear in one of these positions is worn too much it will grind, which is why it seems to happen randomly.

Pull the starter and inspect the condition of the gear. You could also inspect the flywheel gear through the starter hole, by turning the engine over with a socket on the front of the crank.

• 3 months later...
Use a 78 and up Z/ZX/810/Maxima RWD starter.

Is this the same starter in each case? (78 Z, ZX/810/Maxima RWD starter) What should I keep my eyes open for?

1978 280z and -> starter?

Any ZX/810/Maxima RWD starter?

Edited by mikewags

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/starter/nissan/280z.html

I found a bunch of 78 ones here. I think the 82-83 ZX will work as well. Would i be better off getting a later year starter (maybe designed better?)

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQNissanQQ280ZXQQBoschQQStarterQQ19791983QQW0133-1609531.html

79-83 ZX Starter (bosch)

I trust ya' Stephen! Tell me what to buy, and it's done :D (granted: after i remove the old one tonight and have a look at the condition of the flywheel) I do have a feeling its the starter.

Edited by mikewags

The gear reduction stater is actually a 78-83 starter (84 if you include the Maxima). There's really no difference between the one used in the 78 280Z, the 78-84 810/Maxima, or the 79-83 ZX. But it is different from, and I think better than the starter used in the 77 and earlier vehicles. Visually, the differences are obvious.

Up to 77:eg3eb4.jpg

79-84:2wgu7nm.jpg

Sounds good.

Thanks a lot Stephen. I will update this thread tonight with my diagnosis of the starter/flywheel. Hopefully the flywheel is fine, the last thing i want to do now is find out the flywheel is the issue.

*IF* the flywheel is missing teeth/ground down, i guess I will put the existing starter and just run the car until the problem gets worse. I don't think I can cause any additional damage doing this, just get the most out of the parts...

Would you say this makes sense?