Car stalls - can't restart - Page 4 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Car stalls - can't restart

Featured Replies

I don't know how common it is but I'd be surprised if the cam bolt came loose. My vote is still for a blockage somewhere.

The good news is that you will get to the bottom of this and it will be a relatively easy fix.

  • Author

Let's hope so! I want to get her out again soon!

The pump is mechanical, not electric. .

On some later 240's they had an additional electric pump near the tank IIRC. I don't know if failure of the electric pump could restrict the mechanical pump from getting gas. (If you have a two pump system) The electric pump is near the tank.

I've had mechanical pumps which seemed fine but needed to be replaced. It wouldn't hurt to have a spare and they're $40 at autozone. Valve cover gaskets aren't that expensive so I'd just take the cover off and see. I'd pop the cover off and use a screwdriver to bypass/switch the starter on. This will allow you to see if the eccentric cam working. Turn the engine over with the pump installed and valve cover off to verify motion if a replacement pump doesn't fix it.

A clogged fuel rail can also cause a no flow condition. I've posted my experiences with a clogged fuel rail so a search might help.

Do these things and it WILL live again! :) :)

In synopsis...

1 Add 2 gallons gas. It's a simple thing to overlook

1a.Try manually drawing fuel to verify flow. (See previous JimmyZ post)

2.If fuel flow exists replace filter. Make sure that all hoses fit well and have good clamps.

3.Fill float bowls manually

4. Crank and run engine for 45 seconds if no fuel is pumped/drawn replace pump.

5. Fill bowls again and start engine. If new pump fails to produce fuel check eccentric. Also check for flow with exit end of pump unplugged.

6 If pump flows on engine (When turning) then the fuel rail/carb strainers are suspect.

7. Clean rail and float bowl strainers. There are posts detailing good ways to clean the rail.

Just trying to help.

Jim

Did you check the fuel rail idea ?

I had a clogged return line on my 240 that acted like this....

Jay

zdisease

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

1 Add 2 gallons gas. It's a simple thing to overlook

Excellent suggestion, I thought this was an issue, so I added 4 gallons. I'll check this one off!

1a.Try manually drawing fuel to verify flow. (See previous JimmyZ post)

Have not done this yet.

2.If fuel flow exists replace filter. Make sure that all hoses fit well and have good clamps.

Haven't drawn it manually, but there's no fuel flow to the carbs, so I've "skipped" this stage. Strangely, fuel is present in the filter.

3.Fill float bowls manually

Did this - and #4 happened

4. Crank and run engine for 45 seconds if no fuel is pumped/drawn replace pump.

Removed pump, checked everything - still think this is the culprit (which you mentioned having an extra). I am sort of at this stage

5. Fill bowls again and start engine. If new pump fails to produce fuel check eccentric. Also check for flow with exit end of pump unplugged.

6 If pump flows on engine (When turning) then the fuel rail/carb strainers are suspect.

7. Clean rail and float bowl strainers. There are posts detailing good ways to clean the rail.

This will be next - although I did clean out the float bowls...they were pretty clean for a 35 year old car!

Just trying to help.

It's much appreciated - to everyone! I misunderstood your part about the secondary, electric pump...I probably should check that, but as you mentioned the car can function w/o it.

So I think the next step is to take the inspection cover off of the fuel pump and start the car to see that the valves are opening/closing. I do know the pump rocker arm is up against the eccentric, I checked that when I re-attached it.

Rich

  • Author
Did you check the fuel rail idea ?

I had a clogged return line on my 240 that acted like this....

Jay

zdisease

I have not checked the rails. I mentioned that my float bowls are very clean, no sediment at all. I did notice some sediment in the pump, but nothing major. I surmise that a clog would result in poor running before complete stall, and the car never acted weird - it just stopped like it ran out of gas.

Per JimmyZ's suggestion, I'll work my way towards the rail - I am still stuck at the fuel pump!

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

I did check to see if the mechanical pump was working (ran hose to a can) - it looks like that's the issue.

Someone suggested AutoZone - they have an "Airtex Master" fuel pump that apparently fits. Looks much different from the OEM unit, but at $37.99, it's much better priced than what's at Black Dragon.

Anyone have experience with "Airtex Master" and/or AutoZone?

Parts to rebuild the factory pump should still be available from Nissan. Exploded diagram and current part numbers attached.

post-8596-14150803932813_thumb.png

post-8596-14150803933009_thumb.png

  • Author

Dumb q - safe to assume these are special order or mail order parts?

Most Nissan dealers aren't going to have them in stock, no. My dealer gets such things for me with no shipping charges in a matter of 3-5 days.

  • Author

Arne,

Much thanks - looking at the bill of materials, $20.00 is quite reasonable. I'll check with my local dealer as well to see if they will order.

Rich

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.