IGNORED

Almost 500 miles on a 2-day roadtrip through the Catskills!

Poindexter

I just returned from a 9-day, 3200 mile road trip to Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming in my 94 Miata. It was great fun for all the reasons that Carl described.

I hope to do the same in my 240z but it isn't ready yet.

While the car has only 48,000 well-loved miles, I have found that many items have needed replacement due to age or maybe lack of use. (I am the second owner by the way). In addition, the PO made some changes I chose to reverse.

I have replaced the steering rack bushings, front diff mount, alternator, hoses and belts. Repaired the radiator bracket and replaced the non OEM metal fan with a proper OEM fan and clutch, replaced the non-working electric fuel pump with a fuel filter. (Fuel would not flow through it, even with the filter removed), replaced the 160 thermostat with an OEM stat. I even sourced a set of shoulder harnesses that had been removed by the PO.

Currently I need to replace the rear wheels bearings. In addition, the AC needs charged. It must be leaking as it worked when I bought it in 2002. (it is the original York AC). I plan to install a pertronix ignition in it, replace the ball joints and tie rod ends. Oh yes, the brake booster is flakey too.

Yes, the car deserves, and I need, to take it on a road trip someday soon. It would be the first since I have owned it. If only I can find the time as the house projects are taking priority this year.

Grab the camera and the camcorder; enjoy a road trip in a classic Z!

Al