IGNORED

pedal box difference

madkaw

Well I think I screwed up. I sold my pedal box getting it confused with another I had. they looked identical until I tried putting mine in today and the holes didn't line up. My car is 9/71 and the box is a late 73. They are NOT the same. The spacing in the bolts between the clutch and Booster is different. Hopefully this thread will help someone else and help me find another one.

Well I think I screwed up. I sold my pedal box getting it confused with another I had. they looked identical until I tried putting mine in today and the holes didn't line up. My car is 9/71 and the box is a late 73. They are NOT the same. The spacing in the bolts between the clutch and Booster is different. Hopefully this thread will help someone else and help me find another one.

Just sent you a PM about a 71 pedal box.

I was sitting here kicking myself for selling the wrong box, but wondering why there is even a difference from 72 and 73 when it hit me:stupid:

The 73 would have had a bigger brake booster so they had to space the clutch master cylinder further away. I wish i thought this out earlier.

Okay,

so a member sells me the correct year box that will line up with the fire wall correctly. I mount the pedals in, which are from the 73 box ,and I come up with this-see pics. the clutch pedal is not lining up with the MC. So what now- I should have gotten a complete box? Did i put it together wrong? I'm having a difficult time seeing how the offset works between the pedal and the MC--help please!!!!

post-7622-14150803505943_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150803506513_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150803506967_thumb.jpg

According to the parts CD, the clutch pedal itself is different for the '73. The early pedal is 46540-E4601 and was used through 6/72. The '73-only pedal was 46540-N3300 and was used from 7/72 through 7/73. All later cars (8/73 on) used a third pedal.

My guess is that the clutch pedal and the pedal box must match.

Booster lateral hole spacing changed from 80mm to 100mm at some point in the 240Z production cycle. Some indications are late 1972, but I have seen early 1972 automatic cars with the wider 100mm spacing. I sell a MC bracket that replaces the booster and the sales are pretty evenly split between the 80mm and 100mm versions.

Okay,

the clutch pedal itself is different. It has to mover quite a bit to line up with the clutch MC and I don't see how that's going to work since the pedal is almost all the way to one side of the pivot point now, unless there is a something that sticks out on the side of the pedal arm-if you know what i am trying to say.

Okay,

the clutch pedal itself is different. It has to mover quite a bit to line up with the clutch MC and I don't see how that's going to work since the pedal is almost all the way to one side of the pivot point now, unless there is a something that sticks out on the side of the pedal arm-if you know what i am trying to say.

I seem to remember a offset piece that was welded or bolted to the clutch pedal that the clutch MC clevis attached to.

I seem to remember a offset piece that was welded or bolted to the clutch pedal that the clutch MC clevis attached to.

The 70-71 clutch pedal does have the piece for the clutch MC clevis. Here is one just posted on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=150254713314

post-1585-14150803516266_thumb.jpg