IGNORED

Installing the GEN II Mini A/C into my 240

Derek

Can you show a Picture of the mount?

I used the OEM mount, with the OEM Hitachi compressor. The Hitachi is too expensive. Sanden used to supply a conversion kit for the L24/L28, that used an adapter bracket to mount their compressor to the OEM mount..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Great now everyone will see how ratty my engine compartment is!!

DSC_0001-2.jpg

I like this setup as it mounts the compressor nice and low

DSC_0051.jpg

These are the lines from the compressor leading into the core support.

DSC_0052.jpg

Running across the front with the custom clearance bend for the fan!

DSC_0053.jpg

Drier with high pressure cut off switch.

DSC_0054.jpg

Hard lines running into passengers compartment. I should probably put some insulation on the low side line.

I'll say it again. This A/C upgrade has been the best thing I've done for my Z since I converted from the flat tops to the SU's and that was done in 82. I can comfortably drive the car in the Florida heat.

Derek

I have one of the same mounts in storage, and an idea that I will check into today and post pics of if it works as I hope.

Derek,

a complete (if ratty) engine compartment in a running car beats and empty engine compartment any day!

Will

Your upgrade includes super insulation as well as great weather stripping/seals. That has a LOT to with it, as well as the actual A/C unit...

For everyone following along - I meet Derek at friends house, and looked the set up over. Super good job... very nice indeed.

I'll see if I can dig out the adapter brackets from an older Sanden set up - and take a picture of them. Sanden used to have two models of their compressor a 5 series and a 7 series. I think the adapters were for the longer 7 series... but not certain.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Your upgrade includes super insulation as well as great weather stripping/seals. That has a LOT to with it, as well as the actual A/C unit...

For everyone following along - I meet Derek at friends house, and looked the set up over. Super good job... very nice indeed.

I'll see if I can dig out the adapter brackets from an older Sanden set up - and take a picture of them. Sanden used to have two models of their compressor a 5 series and a 7 series. I think the adapters were for the longer 7 series... but not certain.

FWIW,

Carl B.

You mean the 5 different layers of sound deadening and insulation:cheeky: Yes it absolutely has a lot to do with it. I figure since I'm running the unit on low most of the time that stock cars would still see a drastic improvement. Heck the air flow increase alone is worth it! I'm also noticing that switching it to vent and floor combined as the outlet is working really well. I just wish that it had an electronic thermostat as opposed to the old manual style.

Derek

Derek,

Thanks for posting this! I'll be embarking on a similar project in the next 6 weeks when I get the chassis back.

BTW, I've changed my mingd and decided to go with Vintage Air. They appear to have better documentation and I can mod the controls to fit my requirements.

When you installed the dash, did it look like you had room for the next size-up evaporator?

Derek,

Thanks for posting this! I'll be embarking on a similar project in the next 6 weeks when I get the chassis back.

BTW, I've changed my mingd and decided to go with Vintage Air. They appear to have better documentation and I can mod the controls to fit my requirements.

When you installed the dash, did it look like you had room for the next size-up evaporator?

There's room length wise as the mini just protrudes into the passengers area. height and with are close. I think Vintage Air has a loaner program with empty cases to use for a trial fit.

Derek

My bracket is slightly different, but I found that one from a 280ZX is lighter(cast AL.),made for other sanden compressors, and is a genuine Nissan part(11910-p8101)-though way too expensive from the dealer...perfect Pick and Pull part.

Will

I have a new sanden compressor for the 280zx in another storage laocation, I'll get the number for it(I believe it is a 507), in the meantime, fyi:

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/sanden/conversion_guide.htm

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/sanden/sanden_connector_guide.htm

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/sanden/sanden.asp

post-4106-14150803706903_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150803707285_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150803707549_thumb.jpg

Stephen-as usual, you are right! I believe the replacement I got (branded 4seasons) was a Sanden-seems to me the instruction sheet was, and was 280ZX specific, I'll verify that a little later today and clear up any confusion on my part.

Will

• Mike featured this topic