IGNORED

240ZG Flares

Graeme Suckling

I have a '73 240Z to which I wish to fit some ZG type flares. There are several companies which offer these flares, I want some feedback on which product was used and what are your comments on the product. :ermm:

I prefer the bolt on type but your comments are welcome.

Regards from Downunder. :classic:

Hi Graeme,

The original Factory flares ( as fitted to the ZG ) were really rather dainty things, and were attached to the body with large aluminium "pop" type rivets.

On the ZG, they were largely cosmetic and only intended to allow the Homologation for race use of even wider "Overfenders" on the Factory race cars. These were called the "Works" overfenders in Japan, and came in "Type A" and "Type B" versions - depending on what the rest of the body consisted of. These had a bigger base radius and were naturally wider than the ZG overfenders.

If you put a set of the ZG type Overfenders on an S30-bodied Z, you will find that it does nothing to cure the problem of interference of the original wheel-arch lip with the tyre. What they did in Japan ( and quite brutally on the Works race cars ) was to cut out and re-weld most of the metal underneath the Overfenders - especially at the back. Many people are reluctant to do this, quite naturally! However, if your wheel / tyre combo does not interfere with the original sheetmetal, then you have no problem. They just won't "fill up" the Overfenders.

I have a spare set of Overfenders for my car, and these were moulded off a set of factory originals. There is not much to them, and they just have the flat areas where you drill through and into the body and poke your pop-rivet into the virgin sheetmetal. I have the Factory race department instructions for fixing them on around here somewhere - if you are interested.

I would be cautious about aftermarket overfenders, especially if it is the Factory-spec. ZG type that you are after. I know a couple of good suppliers in Japan, but I can't vouch for any product from elsewhere. They might not be quite "right". Only you can judge what you are expecting.

The big question is what you want to do about cutting those original arches away?

Good luck,

Alan T.

Here's a pic. of a Works ( SCCN ) 432R with the slightly wider Overfenders than the ZG type.

Notice the little "lip" on the outer edge - the ZG Factory type do not have this.

They got even wider on the aerodynamic cars that came just after this.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150792148633_thumb.jpg

Graeme,

You're probably going to have to tell these two guys where you are thinking of getting yours from. You said that there are "several companies" that offer the flares - but I presume that you mean they are outside Japan.

The suppliers that I know are all in Japan, and the retail cost ( let alone the cost of shipping ) is quite often enough to put prospective purchasers off.

Also, there's a big difference between the ZG type Overfenders and the Works Type A and Type B................

What version are you after, gentlemen?

Alan T.

Alan,

I always read your posts with great interests -- your knowledge of the Z and it's history is amazing!

I'm interested in a set for my E-Production race car. The ones pictured above look just like what I'm interested in.

Thank you.

Rick

Attached pics show the type I'm looking for:classic:

They are available from 2 or 3 different aftermarket places in USA but @ about $200US, this gets pretty dear in $AUD:tapemouth

I assume these are what your refer to as ZG overfenders?

I already have an after market Japanese fibreglass G nose so the flares would finish it off nicely:love:

post-1971-14150792148988_thumb.jpg

Those pics are of Les Cannaday's car, aren't they? I don't know if he got some "genuine" Overfenders and moulded a set off them, or the ones on his car are the real thing. Whatever, they look just about as close as you are going to get to the ZG Overfenders - I don't think anybody does anything better.

I have seen them in Carbon Fibre in Japan, which looks a bit too modern for my tastes.

Les Cannaday either works for or owns CLASSIC DATSUN MOTORSPORTS ( http://classicdatsun.com ), and they sell these ZG type Ovefenders there. You won't find them any cheaper in Japan, and the shipping / Duty is going to be more expensive too.

Rick, if you want to use some for racing you will possibly be needing something even wider - like the "Works" versions. I will send you a PM about this later today. Please look out for it.

All the best,

Alan T.

Alan,

I always read your posts with great interests -- your knowledge of the Z and it's history is amazing!

Rick

Rick, Just dont call him an expert, eh Alan and whatever you do don't mention Goertz :tapemouth LOL

Hey Alan whats the story with your car? I seem to recall you got it from Japan? There should be a members car section where you can read all about members cars, well maybe just the interesting ones like yours.

Graeme, where'd you get your gnose from? Make sure you post your findings regarding the "Overfenders" for the benefit of us other aussies, that may be looking for parts in the near future.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to import from Japan than from the US? Since they are closer to us. Whats the Yen worth these days?

Maybe I should go into business making FG pannels for Zeds.

Mr C

Hey Mr. C, I was looking at your link to the RB car on Ebay. Noticed something interesting that we can't seem to find here in the US. The fender flares he had that weren't installed really looked nice as they were actually more than just the fender flare. They ran back along the bottom of the quarter so that the flare blended in with the rest of the quarter. They had a very nice shape to them, better than some of the flares that are still on the market here anyways.

Any of you know where these can be found? Or know who the supplier might be? I'm assuming they are fiberglass, but since we seems to be losing suppliers for even the fiberglass parts there might be quite a few people "over here" interested if they are still in production somewhere else in the world.